Accuracy of pointer on hi-res screens

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
VincentG

Re: Accuracy of pointer on hi-res screens

Post by VincentG »

The voice software, as well as the foot switches will work with both models (AT & EG)
Franck Dernoncourt

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

Hi-res screens support was also one of my main concerns when buying SmartNAV 4 but it turned out it handles it perfectly. It is as accurate as a mouse, i.e. pixel-precise.

My setup: 5 screens, with total resolution of 5520x1848. Note that I use 2 dots so as to virtually increase the field of vision. Speed is set to 11 and I have never experienced neck pain (though I spend most of my days in front of the computer).

Photo:

Has anyone tried it with a VNC viewer and Synergy? I haven't had the need yet.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

I don't know that I've tried it with VNC, now that I think about it. It should work in theory, because we're just sending windows direct API calls based on the behavior of the dot, but when working with windowed virtual desktops strange things can happen. Let us know if there's any major issues.

Nice setup, by the way!
Franck Dernoncourt

VNC seems to work well with SmartNAV, I have just tried it.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Nice! Definately good to know that. Did you use realvnc, ultravnc, or another provider?
Franck Dernoncourt

TightVNC server and client.

Speaking of compatibility, I have just installed http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038P ... 04_s01_i00 to add a 3rd screen for my laptop via USB (since I have just moved to the US, I am trying to have the same configuration that what I used to have to Paris). The dwell clicking software window can't be moved on the screen connected via USB: http://youtu.be/K5rRwWDCMH0.
I don't really care, it's just to let you know.
Franck Dernoncourt

For some unknown reasons, the above-mentioned issue has appeared: the dwell clicking software window can now be moved on the screen connected via USB :-)
NaturalPoint - Mike

Interesting. Hey, are you by chance using 3.30.039? We put some changes in it to make it Windows 8 ready that have had some interesting (positive) side effects that seem to cure some windows 7 issues similar to this.
Franck Dernoncourt

Yep I am using 3.30.039. Btw in my last post, I wanted to write "the above-mentioned issue has disappeared", sorry for the confusion. I might get another monitor which I would also connect through USB, I will let you know how it goes.
Calliopebrook

Post by Calliopebrook »

[quote=mips]I'm using SmartNav daily on a dual monitor system with resolution set to 1600x1200 and have absolutely no problems. If you're slow and concentrated enough, you can control the cursor position pixel-accurate even on this 3200x1200 area even without using the "precision" key.

I have the SmartNav camera positioned on one of the monitors near the middle between the two. I use two dots on either side of my glasses so that at least one dot faces the camera as I turn my head. The tracking software can switch between tracking targets smoothly. The SmartNav control panel has a tracking view which shows what the camera is seeing and which object it is currently tracking. [/quote]
yes, i think so