Are multiple screens possible?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
paulbfr

Are multiple screens possible?

Post by paulbfr »

Hi,

I'm new on this forum - like seems many others are, I'm an IT professional who has clocked up to many hours at a computer! I'm considering this SmartNav for my Mac setup - the only thing is I have 2 screens, one 2048(w)x1152(h) pixels and the other 1680(h) x 1050(w). That a lots of pixels to cover by a pointing device with a resolution of 1024 pixels, so would I be right in thinking it wouldn't be possible??

Any help and advice appreciated.

Regards,

- Paul
VincentG

Re: Are multiple screens possible?

Post by VincentG »

For the mac version of the software, I would not know; but I run a dual monitor Windows setup here, and the SN works fine with it.
kalorvoe

Post by kalorvoe »

I'm using it on three huge screens right now. It works fine, but because my screen space covers more than a car windscreen, sometimes the point of my track hat passes out of range of the camera. It just means I have to move the camera back a little, but I have nothing to rest it on so I just deal with it :D
max1999

Post by max1999 »

Thank you for the info...
Franck Dernoncourt

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

I would like to correct what KalorJoe said.

The range issue he mentioned can be easily solved by placing two reflective dots on your forehead. This trick allows me to use five screens, with total resolution of 5520x1848:

(sorry for posting this picture several times, I don't mean to brag but to convince)
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

I actually really like the two dot system, that's thinking outside the box.
Franck Dernoncourt

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

Thanks! SmartNAV is already in its essence thinking outside the box, as epitomized by this comment on StackExchange which received +2 approvals, which was the first comment I received following a question I asked on hands-free mice: "Quite frankly, I would just go with a normal mouse. I mean, why would you wanna move your head or use your mouth or even your feet? " http://productivity.stackexchange.com/q ... free-mouse

In fact we can use more than two reflective dots, I am using three now because
1) increased range obviously,
2) if you place too reflective dots that are too distant, when SmartNAV switches between the two dots it may result in a mouse cursor jump, which can be truly annoying.

photo:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8007/2 ... 132635.jpg