LINUX/ UBUNTU

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
benrob

LINUX/ UBUNTU

Post by benrob »

Hi, I have been using this hardware since 2004 and up until now have had very few problems. I downloaded and installed Ubuntu or Linux as an operating system and then came to Naturalpoint to look for the software needed to operate SmartNav under this new system only to find it isn't here. Is Naturalpoint aware of this problem? Are there some guys that can create some software so that SmartNav can operate under a Linus OS?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: LINUX/ UBUNTU

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

Unfortunately, drivers and software do not exist for linux based systems, as we only support Windows currently. We do occasionally evaluate the need for support in other operating systems, and I do keep a running tally of the requests that we receive for it.
mjvines

Post by mjvines »

+1 for SmartNav support in Linux!
Julius

Post by Julius »

Yes for Ubuntu!
rfarrar

Post by rfarrar »

Another +1 for Linux support
Hossebo

Post by Hossebo »

yeah +1
nsr1

Post by nsr1 »

+1
Franck Dernoncourt

Post by Franck Dernoncourt »

No SmartNAV and no good voice recognition on Linux!
billwrs

Post by billwrs »

PLEASE MAKE THIS DRIVER!
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Hi,
I'm a developer of the Linuxtrack project, that so far successfully communicates with TrackIR2 to 5.

From what I gathered, I think that adding support for the SmartNav device should not be all that different (although I'd need some data to be sure).

But the question is - what would NP people say to that (waranties, firmware and things like that)?

As far as I can tell, this would be a win-win situation - linux users would be happy using the device, NP could take its time deciding whether to directly support linux or not, while selling more hardware...

But I'm not sure what is their point of view...

Kind regards,

Michal