Streaming Data into Excel

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
ved

Streaming Data into Excel

Post by ved »

Hi,

I happen to collect some take2D data of 34 markerset using ARENA 1.8 for a 3 step stair climbing activity, and did trajectorize this data. But, when I am trying to use the NatNet SDK 2.1 to extract the data points into Client-Output.pts, I am reading only 9 Markerset data and that data does not match with the one that I am seeing on sample test form that comes along with the NatNet SDK.

I am able to read the data of my application on to Sample windows test form, but unable to write it to the client-output.pts. I want to write the output data of my application from NatNET test form into an excel spread sheet, any suggestions or help with the code in this regard will be appreciated.

Thanks
VED
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Streaming Data into Excel

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

What data in particular are you looking to get? Marker data or skeleton data?
ved

Post by ved »

I want to extract the x,y,z coordinates of the marker data.

-Ved
NaturalPoint - Mike

It can be done, you have to have arena set to stream unlabeled markers, and put a rigid body in the scene (though it doesn't have to be connected to anything, you can just put some markers in the corner, make a rigid body out of them, then have your parsing software ignore them).
ved

Post by ved »

Mike,

Thanks for that suggestion now I do have a coordinate system, but how can I extract the 34 marker data of the participant's action into an .pts file. When I am running the NatNET SDK it is just generating the names of my marker ids, but the data being generated belongs to the name "katie". Where and what do I need to change in the NatNET SDK to write my marker data?

-VED
BarleyPeng

Post by BarleyPeng »

Hi Ved! Did you manage to solve your problem? I am experiencing the exact problem as you did, and would like to know how you solved it. The data shown in the WinFormTest App does not fit the actual data, the data belongs to a "katie". I know I did not set it up correctly. May I know what are the exact steps to use the WinFormTest App? The NatNet SDK instructions are a little too brief for me to use, as I am new to this field. Thank you!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Edit:

You're using the sample server?
BarleyPeng

Post by BarleyPeng »

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your reply. Here are the steps I did.
I first opened the Arena software, then I opened the SimpleServer.exe found in the Samples/bin folder of the SDK. Next, I pressed 's' in the console to start streaming.
Then I opened the WinFormTest sample application. I did not do anything to the IP addresses as I am streaming within the same computer, it seemed that the program automatically fills in the IP address? I continued to click 'connect' and 'GetDataDesc'

Please let me know where did I go wrong. Thank you!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Katie is the name of the skeleton for the data that the simpleserver outputs.

The Simple Server sample allows you to test your client applications by streaming junk sample data (in this case, katie) over and over again so you can see that you're intercepting and parsing the data properly. When using your client with Arena or Tracking Tools, Katie should not come up, just whatever's loaded into Arena or TT at the time of the stream.
BarleyPeng

Post by BarleyPeng »

Oh I see. Thank you Mike!
Now after I opened Arena, I clicked on 'Start Streaming Frames' and clicked the check for 'Rigid Body Data'. Next, I open the winformtest sample app and click on connect and Get Data Desc. However, the message log says initialisation and connection succeeded, but when sending TestRequest, the Server has: No Response. What did I miss out? How do I enter the correct Local and Server IP if I am streaming to the same computer?

Thank you again for your help!