Widows 8 Drivers

Historiker

Re: Widows 8 Drivers

Post by Historiker »

Not sure why NP isnt all over creating an updated driver, course their last driver is from 2009...extreme old age in computing. You would think that they would jump at making customers happy. Yes yes, preview OS, not release....even my Teensy++2.0 controller linked up perfectly in Win8...why not my TrackIR?

Ok, rant over.

I too installed TrackIR 5 on one of my PCs today (the Mechpit).

This set of instructions work, I found it on Microsoft Answers.com it is pretty much what was recommended on page 2:

Ok,

try this one.

- Right side charm menu click on Settings

- a selection menu opens, on the right bottom click on more PC Settings

- scroll down to General

- right side scroll down for Advanced Startup, click on restart now

- now you should see a blue colored screen and selections

- click on troubleshoot

- click on advanced

- click on windows startup settings.

confirm

your computer is restarting (same as you would press F8 with windows 7) and you will find a selection to start without driver signatures.

do this, then you should be able to install your driver as you do it in windows 7.

Hope this helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ab8b31c0b8

April is almost here huh? ;)
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

I cannot condone this method, as you should never have to remove a security setting to get something running, which is exactly what disabling driver signing is.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Couldnt hold my breath long enough to wait for an updated driver ;)

Not messing with you Mike, you seem to be a great guy and very helpful.

Point though, the driver signing starts back up on reboot and the driver does continue to work.
kusvit

Post by kusvit »

When already there is an updating for windows 8. To what times we will suffer? I am a beta a tester and the tracker is necessary for me. Windows 7 not to offer!!! On nvidia of the driver is, on motherboards there are drivers for windows 8. Why you have any problems?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Historiker: I understand if you want to use that method, there's nothing to stop you. I'd prefer not to recommend it as an official pathway. Once the release comes out you should be able to directly install that and have drivers appropriately placed.

Vitaliy: As noted before, we'll have a release out for general availability.
Bruce_C

Post by Bruce_C »

I think Vitaliy has a very valid point. It seems that for every other device there is at least SOME driver support for Windows 8, you need to face the fact that Windows 8 is not in some kind of closed beta, it's a publicly available operating system. People WILL use work arounds like the one published above.

It's bad enough mac users are having to rely on 3rd party open source software, I would at least expect Natural Point to be moving forward with Windows support.

Bruce
Mikehak

Post by Mikehak »

I also just wait for the W8 drivers. Many are able to get Win8 right now, because they have a agreement with Microsoft.
Please go forward to release the Trackir driver asap.
polecat

Post by polecat »

Temporarily disabling driver signature enforcement for the Windows 8 x64 install works fine to get TIR5 software and hardware working. So far Windows 8 is handling all of my gaming hardware just fine.

It would be great if NP would release the native signed Win8 driver ASAP. That being said I see no reason to wait for it either since the latest software functions just fine under Windows 8. I have been testing Windows 8 enterprise while keeping my Windows 7 install on an alternate partition. Since the install I have found little reason to return to Windows 7 and I have spent 99% of my time under Windows 8 (much to my own surprise). I am using a program called "Classic Shell" to enable a traditional start menu and straight to desktop approach to this new OS. This is helping to ease the transition to the unfamiliar elements within Windows 8. Even the Metro screen and charms bar are not so scary when you start to get into it a bit.

Out
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

Just to check in, Windows 8 has been working perfectly with TrackIR Win7 drivers using the install method above. Once I rebooted Windows 8 restored the driver signature state that it had before I turned it off.

Unfortunately NP has no commercial rival; competition would result in more customer care (not to slight Mike, he seems to work very hard).
NaturalPoint - Mike