SmartNav don't work in-game mode (VBS2)

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
nibbler

SmartNav don't work in-game mode (VBS2)

Post by nibbler »

Hey guys,

for days i am trying to get SmartNav running in couple with VBS2. My aim is to use SmartNav directly as a Mouse Emulation for aiming a weapon at a target, not to use it for controlling of the field of view like TrackIR users do. My problem is, that the reticle in VBS2 do not react on the SmartNav tracking signal, but works properly in the VBS2 menu as well as in the mission editor. When a mission starts, the reticle (also the field of view) jump on the ground an points at the feet of the player. If i hide the reflector or move it out of the SmartNav-cams field of view, i can use the mouse to control the reticle. If the reflector comes in to play again, the reticle jumps downwards and points at the players feet again. I already used the same SmartNav version and the same camera for controlling the reticle in Operation Flashpoint and it worked properly.
Has anybody an idea how to fix that? I am open for any suggestions.

The SmartNav version i use is 3.3. In the cursor positioning menu i use the absolute position option. The mouse override delay is equal to 0.0.

Thank you guys and sorry for the bad english.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: SmartNav don't work in-game mode (VBS2)

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

SmartNav can have some slightly unpredictable results when using programs that change your screen resolution. Try looking down, centering with F12, then looking back up. It may help artificially depress the center point so that you're looking around appropriately in VBS
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Hello Mike,

thanks for your quick reply. I tried out the procedure you described, but the recentering had no influence on the behaviour.
But the good news are: using SmartNAV for the aim/reticle-control in VBS2 works very well, if the relative cursor positioning option in the SmartNAV settings is activated. Unfortunately i need the absolute cursor positioning option for the application i'm working on.

PS: after i reinstalled the SmartNAV Sofware, the effect with the jumping reticle (if a mission starts) don't occur. It just don't working now (if the absolute cursor positioning option is activated). I don't get it.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure why reinstalling changed the behavior either. Did you reinstall the same version or update?
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Admittedly i'm not sure which version i had installed before. I had it on my PC for at least more than a year, but not sure when i downloaded it. The version i installed now is the actual one of the SmartNAV homepage.
I'm also not sure now if the 'jumping reticle' effect occured when i used the SmartNAV Software, because i had also installed the FreeTrack Software and tried also to get it running with VBS2. Maybe the 'jumping reticle' effect occured when i was used that. After so much tryouts i get confused, deleted all (SmartNav and FreeTrack) and installed the actual SmartNAV software. The FreeTrack software worked absolutely not satisfactory when it was running in the relative cursor positioning mode, but had the same problem like the SmartNAV in the absolute cursor positioning mode (maybe this one was the jumping one, i'm not sure now).
In my opinion it's not a version problem. What i noticed was, that the SmartNAV, even though used in absolute or relative cursor positioning mode, stops to work if the User Account Control Panel (My Sys: Win7/64bit) do appear, for example after starting a program as admin, and then go on working properly after the UAC Panel disappear. Is it possible, that the reason for both effects is similar?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Try using the TrackIR software in VBS. It should work with your SmartNav camera.