Positioning the TrackIR3

Rich

Positioning the TrackIR3

Post by Rich »

Hi guys. Got my TrackIR3 Pro and I'm just starting to tweak the setup. I'm wondering if there is an "optimum" positioning relative to the tracking dot. First, I intended to use my headphone headband for positioning a dot when using ver. 3.13 software but the difference in distance between the dot and the brim of the hat when using ver. 4.0.022 is significant? I think I'll put the vector clip onto a standard baseball type hat and use the naturalpoint hat for dot tracking. That way the distance will be the same in both cases?
Anyway, any tips you veteran users have would be appreciated. I'm also wondering if the height relative to the dot/hat is important?
Thanks,
Rich
Barred

Re: Positioning the TrackIR3

Post by Barred »

Hi Rich, to answer your questions in no particular order. I use my Vector on a IronMaiden cap and use my Vector in most non 6DOF games as it adds stability to the data being sent from the TIR even if the extra angles are not used. If I am not then I do use my TrackHat for non-vector but that is very rare.

As for distances I have found that about 30-36" (90-95cm) between the sensor and reflector with about 2" (5cm) above the top reflector of the Vector. The slight distances between using and not using the Vector is minimal to be honest if you are centred in the tracking view when you are at your normal relaxed seating position.

Enjoy
Rich

Re: Positioning the TrackIR3

Post by Rich »

Ahhh thank you Barred. You have been more help than you might realise I do not have the device centered. I will "fiddle" with the position of the unit until I get it as centered as possible.
BTW, this is a really cool device for us would-be pilots. It's not perfect, but it is a HUGE improvement over anything else.
Thanks,
Rich