Potential New Customer researching TrackIR5 b4 purchase

AllGamer

Potential New Customer researching TrackIR5 b4 purchase

Post by AllGamer »

I tried searching the forum and did not find the information I was looking for, so here it goes:

1. Can the TrackIR 5 be mounted upside down at the bottom Bezel of a LED monitor? see pic

2. Does the TrackIR 5 work without the TrackClip Pro?

3. How's the accuracy of TrackIR 5 without the TrackClip Pro?

4. Can the TrackIR 5 detect minor head movements, small movement enough to AIM targets instead of POV (point of view) ?

I'm considering TrackIR vs. Oculus Rift, and depending on the information provided it'll swing me over to either gadget.

I'm going to be mostly using it with MechWarrior Online & Star Citizen, MWO is confirmed to support TrackIR in the future, and Star Citizen is confirmed to support Oculus Rift out of the box.

IMO TrackIR fits my purpose better in regards I don't need to wear it on me, I'm not a fan of headsets for VoIP it annoys my head after several hours, so the Oculus Rift is definitely not my 1st choice in that regard, also with the Oculus Rift it'll most definitely fog up, and things will become blurry and that will break game immersion for me.

So these minor things is what TrackIR seems to be winning me over and it has the advantage over the Oculus Rift from my point of view:

- I can enjoy the use of my 6 screens (5760x2160) without using an annoying Ski goggle (Oculus Rift)
- I don't need to worry about the vision getting fogged up and sweaty by wearing a Ski goggle
- I might not even need to wear the TrackClip Pro, depending on how I configure the TrackIR to do.
- No annoying wires (I hate wires)
- Oculus Rift is low resolution (visual)

Rig Spec:
i7 3960x, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, 256GB OCZ Vertex4(x2), 3TB Seagate(x5), OCZ ZX 1250W, ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 1000Mhz(x2) in Xfire on 5760�2160, ASUS VS247H-P(x6LED), Logitech Z-560 5.1 THX, Logitech G15 & MX Performance, THRUSTMASTER T.Flight Hotas X, Antec LanBoyAir
jolsonsalem

Re: Potential New Customer researching TrackIR5 b4 purchase

Post by jolsonsalem »

1. You'll have to get a bit creative with double sided tape or some other solution to physically mount it upside down. But there is options in the software to allow for camera rotation at 90, 180, and 270 degrees.

2. Yes, all TrackIRs come with a standard TrackClip which attaches to a the bill of a baseball cap.

3. Completely usable, but more prone to IR light interference because the standard TrackClip relies on IR to be reflected back to the camera while the Pro has LEDs that will be detected from wide angles.

4. It will detect very minor head movements, and with the software that comes with it you can control exaggeration or oppression of these movements. That will let you create dead zones of movement or let you turn faster/farther without as much head turning.

For you other points:
TrackIR is independent of screen configuration.

The TrackClip Pro does have wires, however some people have gotten creative with battery packs and other options as it only relies on the USB connection for power, but if you dislike headsets in general this is probably not the route you want to go.
AllGamer

Post by AllGamer »

Thank you very much for the answers

Yes, a Battery operated TrackClip Pro sounds like ideal, I could probably mod the USB plug to attach it to a battery pack instead.

Back in regards to positioning the TrackIR

is it enough if i just leave it at DESK level in front of the keyboard?

or perhaps mount it at the top of my Rig, and HEAVILY reconfigure the software to operate from the Left instead of from the Front?
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=AllGamer]Thank you very much for the answers

Yes, a Battery operated TrackClip Pro sounds like ideal, I could probably mod the USB plug to attach it to a battery pack instead.

Back in regards to positioning the TrackIR

is it enough if i just leave it at DESK level in front of the keyboard?

or perhaps mount it at the top of my Rig, and HEAVILY reconfigure the software to operate from the Left instead of from the Front?[/quote]

You want the TrackIR to be at least head level, and either mounted to the front or back of you.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack