Flight Sim recommendation please

Piddy

Flight Sim recommendation please

Post by Piddy »

Hi Guys,

I've not had the chance to play a flight sim in a long time so I'm a bit unsure about the many games available and which one would suit my needs best. Hoping someone might be able to give some advice.

In order of priority I'm after something that has:
- Track IR support.
- Good looking 3D scenery (doesn't have to be based on real terrain)
- Fairly realistic physics
- Mixture of aircraft types
- Combat

MS Flight Sim seems very good but the terrain seems a little flat. I'd prefer something with more 3D objects (even if it's not a real world data). I'd like to try low level flying through valleys / cities.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Re: Flight Sim recommendation please

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I am probably not the best person to comment here, but I like CFS3, with add-on packs. MSFS2004 is great, but no combat. Lomac 1.1 is also great, but it has 3D, not 6D, for full Vector support. Hopefully someone else will jump in here!
CPS_Eagle

Post by CPS_Eagle »

Greetings Piddy.
For me (and a lot of others) the best WWII flight sim is Il-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles.
With the ACE expansion set and the great Pacific Fighters.(PF is also to play as a stand alone)
But.......no Vector Expension you can use
But it is a real good game.
We play it in HyperLobby

http://hyperfighter.sk/

(I hope it is okay, moderater, that i put that link here?)

Its a real good fun to play there with all those virtual pilots.
Hope to see you there soon Piddy

[ July 01, 2005, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: CPS_Eagle ]
r_stich

Post by r_stich »

quote:Originally posted by Piddy:
I'd prefer something with more 3D objects (even if it's not a real world data). I'd like to try low level flying through valleys / cities.

Thanks in advance.You could try Lunar Lander. It's got some great and varied terrain, and an addictive flight model.
It's not full 6DOF support, but with mouse emulation you might be able to open and close the app.

Actually, I have the same question to the users. Except that I have played both IL2 and CFS3 before. Now that I have TiR3+Vector which one should I sink into first? Those games take an eternity to get used to as it is.
I really wish Wings of War had some support, that's a game you can jump in quickly and enjoy some low-level canyon flying.
Piddy

Post by Piddy »

Thanks for most of your replies. I will do a bit more research before taking the plunge.
ragnar

Post by ragnar »

Hmmm' Somebody dropped the ball....Take a good hard look at Shockwaves BoB WoV.

TIR with 6DOF along with the latest fligntsim available....can't get any sweeter
otto

Post by otto »

1C Maddox' Il-2 series is easily the standard for combat flight simulators; it's hardly a point worth arguing. If you do get it, invest in the entire series from Forgotten Battles and ACExpansion Pack to Pacific Fighters and patch to v. 4.01.

BoB2 WoV is just being relesed in the U.S. and has been out in the U.K. for several days. It promises to be a classic, although the game engine does not allow for multiplay. See link below for details.
http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... m.php?f=10

Hope you have some flying hardware to maxamize your flying enjoyment. While it's possible to fly using a keyboard, no one recommends it. For best immersion you need a joystick, rudder pedals, and, IMO, TrackIR3. With more and more sims supported the vector expansion, TIR is a no brainer for flying.

Oleg Maddox and crew are planning to release an encore to Il-2 based on the Battle of Britain, expect it sometime in 2006.
Barred

Post by Barred »

I know that BOB WOV is comming and I am only mentioning it here because of the aboe 2 posts.

BOB WOV is a reworking of the original Rowan code with uptodate graphics shoe horned and some FM tweaks. At full price I think it is over priced tbh.
Eilif

Post by Eilif »

Targetware is a great package, and its free!

great graphics, fly all sorts of planes in historicaly acurate scenarios, WWI, WWII, jets.....

industrys first combat sim to use a real phisics engine for the flight model.

its a mog, so you can play with all sorts of ppl from across the world. The new il2 battle of brittain wil not even have multiplayer support.

unlike il2 it has real 3d cockpits, which will be vector suported soon, and is already supporting 2 dof.

mscfs2004 is not being developed anymore so what you see is what you get.

www.Targetware.net

[ September 05, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Eilif ]