FSX flickering scenery and autogen objects

cbiflight

FSX flickering scenery and autogen objects

Post by cbiflight »

Hi,

running FSX with TrackIR3 (no Vector Expansion yet) and found out that these annoying flickering and shimmering of trees, runways and partially other objects (including aircrafts) is caused by TrackIR. After trying everything with my graphic settings I finally figured out whats causing this. As soon as I press F9 all flickering and shimmering disappears as I would have pressed pause mode. Enabling TrackIR3 again brings back that flickering at once.

It is mainly visible in distant areas of the scenery. Somebody please have an idea whats causing TrackIR to show this? I run the latest version of TrackIR4-Software 4.2 Build 39.

Tried re-installing, different USB-Ports, different video driver settings... :(

Any ideas?

Sorry for my English and best regards,
cbiflight
jolsonsalem

Re: FSX flickering scenery and autogen objects

Post by jolsonsalem »

Have you tried version 5.2.1 of the TrackIR software? It will work with your TrackIR 4.
cbiflight

Post by cbiflight »

Thanks for your reply, Jeff. I thought version 5 would not be compatible. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. By the way I've seen some videos today on naturalpoint.com showing trackIR5 at work and I could see this flickering, too. But much more less then I experienced.

I've just seen version 5 needs vector license and clip which I did not own yet. That's why I installed version 4. I ordered a clip yesterday and will get a license then, too. Then I can test it out.
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

You only need the Vector license if you have a TrackIR 3. Let us know how it works out though.
cbiflight

Post by cbiflight »

Got my Vector License last night, installed Version 5 and activated license. Though I do not see any change in the shimmering problem I am totally amazed by the new features. This is a huge improvement, indeed.

All in all I guess this shimmering might somehow reflect some kind of motion. With running engines (TIR off) one can see this shimmering and flickering, too, though with very much less intensity.

Any further idea is -of course- highly appreciated and I would likely get rid of this little "eye annoyance", but if not... I'd survive that. ;-)
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

I found a forum thread at http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3319.0 that might be related to your issue. What kind of video card do you use?
cbiflight

Post by cbiflight »

Thanks for your help and the link, Jeff. Already tried everything you can set on both FSX and the video settings, but this weird thing persists. I actually have an ASUS nVidia GTX560Ti with latest available drivers and have DX9 mode only in use in FSX. Tried newer and older drivers, too.

I experienced that -in case you've fired up engines- a somehow shimmering motion is seen on the horizon, the trees and parts of the cockpit (radio digits etc). You can see this in the video on your website, too.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5-wRIa9GDg[/video]

The video and the shimmering is best seen on fullscreen!

When TIR5 comes alive (at around 2:30), just look at the trees and the horizon line. Might better explain what I mean.

So possibly its a feature, not a problem and might be implemented to spend a more motional perspective. As long as I have no engines running and I press F9 this motion stops immediately - no more shimmering at all. With running engines pressing F9 and deactivating TIR the shimmering is not that strongly visible anymore, but still remains which let me think about it as something wanted. I have no explanation, but TIR seems to enhance this effect.