Half Life 2 and please some other FPS games COME ON!

Seth Steiling

Re: Half Life 2 and please some other FPS games COME ON!

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=audunth]Any update on Valve TrackIR support now that CS:Global Offensive is out?

And seriously, can't the TrackIR emulate the mouse for use in games that aren't enhanced yet??[/quote]
TrackIR often can emulate the mouse in games that don't officially support it, but the functionality of mouse emulation is often different than actual TIR integration. In FPS titles, for instance, emulating the mouse does nothing in terms of separating view from aim (which is a critical component of integrating head tracking in that genre).

Nothing new to report with Valve. They have our SDK, they're up to speed on what the tech does, they even seem to like it--they just won't (as of yet) pull the trigger on implementing it. They even mentioned in the past that they put the necessary code in the engine--they just won't expose it. Weird. But, it's their game, their code, their call to make.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
majestic twelve

Post by majestic twelve »

Hello, I just stumbled across a modder's work implementing head tracking into HL2 and it looks very promising. He is using the same Hillcrest trackers as in the Oculus Rift, but is working on supporting many different trackers, including TrackIR:

[quote=adoral84]I definitely want to support multiple trackers, probably by doing exactly what WiredEarp mentioned. I'm also intending to do 6dof using TrackIR (only going to try to solve for seated 6dof for now not 360) and independent weapon tracking as well. I have a rough draft of the separate weapon tracking with a hillcrest tracker but I imagine it won't be too common for people to have a second one so again having the ability to drop in custom trackers (wiimotes, ps move, YEI, etc) will be even more critical here.[/quote]

Source:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16174

Video:

https://vimeo.com/59342255
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

Hi Guys,

I am covering this in my mouse emulation thread under General Gaming Topic however just thought it was mentioning here. Every FPS game can be supported by TrackIR using freePIE. Free pie takes the input from the trackir and you can use this in a variety of scripts, one of which being mouse emulation. This means any non DiectInput game can be played.

Of course this does not mean that the aim is separate from the look but there is still definitely a place for mouse emulation in First Person View games. Generally I still use the mouse and move my head when I want to look around or am generally strolling along. For a good example try Slender: The Arrival (unsupported by the included TIRmouse). I realise a lot of people are not bothered by this. I personally use track ir with a Sony HMZ so FPS are more suited to this setup.

I wanted to post this here to let people know because I had to do a lot of researching to get it working. But with the right process you can get it up and running in minutes.

It is frustrating sometimes hearing that developers aren't picking up the Track IR. At least with this I know I can pick up anything with a mouselook and get it working as I want. You can even map roll, X, Y and Z to functions if needed (I.e. roll to FPS lean) or X to strafe.