whew..not so easy

uhoh7

whew..not so easy

Post by uhoh7 »

just got TIR for il2. After 3 hours, still not even close to functional-me i mean.

centering drives me crazy even 5 on numpad often doesn't overide TR.

movement: unable to pan all the way up on over both shoulders from one position.

hat seems to fight TR, though mouse overide ok, though a little delayed.

lots of little jerks.

not that any of this is indicative of anything other than my lack of experience.

2.53 P4, GF4, 19 lcd monitor.

any and all tips appreciated

ty
uhoh7
bhodi

Re: whew..not so easy

Post by bhodi »

First you need to map a macro to your joystick so you pause TIR and Center it on Restart.
Then Pause or stop TIR...Keypad 5 to center view then Restart TIR and make sure the "center on start" dot in the software is activated.
I posted this elsewhere but it also fits here so I'll repost it.

I use the lean method with a little head movement...because leaning really makes the Check six movement more precise.

Plus rather then turn the TIR off when I'm lining up a shot, I learned a different way that works for me.
{BTW I learned it from a fighter pilot, and this was the way he learned in RL}

When you shoot a rifle. You look at the front pin through the ring, then focus on the target then back on the pin, then take the shot.

However in BFM....I'd center on the gunsight and then drive it to the target then watch as I'd take the shot.
Which I'd learned to do because I flew Snapview and not padlock.

In snap views your view is centered on the sight and you have to fly the sight to the target.
In padlock your centered on the target and fly the target to sight ...with the TIR you want to do both, much like when you shoot a rifle.

So instead of one view style,

You want to focus on the Target plane in front of you and keep it centered in your view with the TIR.
Then fly the gunsight to the Target that you're keeping centered....Like Padlock
Keep centered on the target till the picture firms up for the shot, then center on the sight when you take the shot.....Like Snapview
It's easy after some mental changes.

Watch a large bird fly in to a landing sometime...that's what they do.
My buddies bird like to play navy carrier pilot and land on my buddies hand as he slowly moves it...you can see his eyes and head track the hand as he flies his body....then his head snaps up to acquire the hand and he holds his head still to look down at the target {Birds see different then us, Eyes on the sides and all that} and his feet come down to hit the target....target,sight,landing.

To review my technique of TIR BFM

Ignore the gunsight and track the target and fly the gunsight to it...Then track the sight during the shot.
Easy once you learn
Give that a shot and let me know if it works for you guys
Also check the thread on IL-2 settings, the one posted is a set of good ones just about what I use.
Hope this helps...keep posting and we'll get you tuned up and TIR'ing like a pro.
uhoh7

Post by uhoh7 »

TY for help, will keep at it.

how far do you have to lean to be able to get over both shoulders with your settings?

whats best distance TIR unit to dot?

ty again

uhoh7
bhodi

Post by bhodi »

Hi,
check the post about settings
HERE
They all are about the same so just use it as a range for testing and tweak it a bit from there.
As to leaning. it is pretty subtle, a couple of inches back and forth....It just takes some time to learn. Just like flying, or using the buttons on a joystick.
Rember how hard it was to land with real setting in IL-2....this is way easier
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Uhoh7 how many dots are you using and where are they positioned ??. If you only using 1 try using 4 in a overlapping clover style setup. I did this and found that the unit tracked much better in IL2. Also the futher away the unit is from you the less sensitive you need the sliders (I think I have this the correct way around.

Im off to work now ill post a pic of my dot arangment when i get back so you can see it.
DNME

Post by DNME »

The way that Bhodi uses it to line up and fire is exactly the way i use it too. Good explanation !

For optimum distance, check the advanced screen. Move closer to the camera to make sure the yellow dot is at it's biggest. But not so close that the box surrounding the yellow dot turns red. Otherwise it doesn't track that well. The surrounding box must be green. So it's a good tip from others to use overlapping dots to make the yellow dot as big as possible. The bigger the yellow dot is, the better it will track. So you can move away from the monitor more.

I myself use the rubber ring , which has a big rectangular piece of reflective tape. I removed the tape, folded it flat and glued it square on the rubber ring. (Size is about 3 overlapping normal dots). It's still the same reflective tape when i first bought the unit, so it goes a long way.

I don't use the lean method myself, but that's up to each individual. I use normal "headshaking" to view back and forth from 5 to 7. It's a lot faster and more easy for me that way (especially when i play "no cockpit" ) to judge how far i'm looking to left or right.

I don't think it's a good idea especially not for beginning users to recentre or use the hatswitch (or maybe even padlock?) while trackIR is active. As that can throw off your alignment big time. If you want to recentre or use the hat, pause the trackIR first. Before you unpause make sure the virtual view and your own head are both pointed straight ahead. As long as you have that, the alignment will always be good.

But it's very important to find the proper setup first. You must be able to reach 5 and 7 o clock with ease! You may have to increase the IL2 mouse sensitivity for that. (As an example when i started using it, i used 1.5 IL2 mouse sensitivity and default trackIR speed settings with 2x greyed out!. I've now gone back to 1.3 sensitivity). Check proper distance, and try not to move too much towards, or away from the monitor while playing.

Keep at it, it will come!

[ November 09, 2002, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: DNME ]
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Ok I took a pic of the way I have my dots set up, i found this gave me zero errors on tracking. All the info DMNE has supplied has been great I would also like to add that you need to also set your Track IR unit on something that doesnt move, you will be supprised at how much your moniter moves about on the table its on if you have your Hotas on there aswell, all the moveing of your joystck/throttle will rack the table and your moniter and this in turn will move your Track Ir unit if its mounted on top of the moniter, slowley this could transform into it getting out of sync.