Erratic Behaviour With Cursor on Some Occasions

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Johnny_F

Erratic Behaviour With Cursor on Some Occasions

Post by Johnny_F »

Just lately, every now and then, I have found that the cursor starts to behave erratically and I cannot control it. After a while it may settle down but not always!

Just so you know, the first thing I do when this happens is to check if I've accidentally altered any settings such as the "Relative" radio button, but this is not the case. I have the dot stuck to my nose and I have always used it this way from time immemorial.

Unusual activity that happens when trying to move the cursor when this happens:

1. The cursor will stay on one point on the screen and shake back and forth. There is nothing I can do to move it from that spot.

2. If after a while the cursor does eventually move, I try to use it on a point on the screen and the cursor suddenly disappears.

3. The cursor seems to have a mind of its own and darts all over the screen without me being able to control it.

I have tried shutting down and restarting the computer, killing the SmartNav process in the task manager, unplugging the SmartNav, replugging the SmartNav and starting again. I had tried using another dot. Still the problem persists.

The next course of action I suppose is uninstalling the software and reinstalling it from scratch but this is a last resort as it is time wasting.

Does anybody know why the cursor acts in this way and what causes these problems?

Is there an easy way to stop this from happening and if so, how?

Thank you

Johnny
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Erratic Behaviour With Cursor on Some Occasions

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hi Johnny,

I would check your camera view with the green dot to see if there is interference from a light source or reflection in the viewing area.

If you continue having problems with this, I invite you to submit a ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com

Best Regards
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
kimwatts

Post by kimwatts »

I'm also having the same problem. The erratic cursor makes it so you can't even use the hand held mouse. The only way to regain control of the computer is to unplug the mouse. One thing not mentioned that I have noticed is that as the cursor is wildly moving around the green light rapidly flickers and the smartnav window display is rapidly switching back and froth between tracking and not tracking. There is nothing competing for control. When it happens sometimes it will stop misbehaving and act normally for the rest of the day.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

kimwatts,

It could be that your imaging sensor is going out or that it is having power issues. Please create a ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager