Head Tracking for Head Mounted Display - what will work

xinditta

Head Tracking for Head Mounted Display - what will work

Post by xinditta »

Hi,

I have Head Mounted Display / Video Goggles on there way but they do not have head tracking built in.

I have searched the web but cannot find anything that specifically looks at head tracking for these. I have used TrackIR before with a monitor and although I believe you can set scaling to 1:1 so a 90 degree turn of my head in reality will result in the same in the game, but am concerned about how the LEDs / Reflectors will handle me turning that far from the sensor.

I looked at FaceTrackNoIR as well, as I thought that wouldn't suffer as much at 90 degrees as it does not rely on the LED / Reflector points - but on looking closer I think it is going to be worse as seems to 'map your face'.

Anyone got any input on whether TrackIR 5 would perform OK, or indeed any other suggestions of software / hardware that might if it won't?

Primary use will be FSX and Prepar3d if that has any bearing - so user will be static in front of the sensor rather than walking around...

Any input, experience or suggestions welcome :)
Seth Steiling

Re: Head Tracking for Head Mounted Display - what will work

Post by Seth Steiling »

With TrackIR, your actual head movements will be tracked up to around +/- 55� on Yaw. There's no way around this limitation, so 1:1 tracking with TrackIR might be too limited for your HMD needs.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
xinditta

Re: Head Tracking for Head Mounted Display - what will work

Post by xinditta »

Thanks Seth - does anyone have any alternate products or ideas? Is there anyway to combine to Track IR cams or are there any other technology that would potentially work better?

Thanks again