Wireless TrackIR

5quirrel

Wireless TrackIR

Post by 5quirrel »

Hi Guys,

I stopped using my TrackIR when I got a wireless headset because obviously by using TrackIR I was still plugged in. Then I had an idea, a bit if messing around with a battery and a soldering iron an hey presto!

Now I am completely wireless again! Why is this type of option not available from Natural Point, it could be the deciding factor in future possible sales.

Kind regards, (apologies if this is now available and I missed it)
Seth Steiling

Re: Wireless TrackIR

Post by Seth Steiling »

Definitely on our radar! Nice handiwork, BTW. :-)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
vivoune

Post by vivoune »

Nice, I just can't bear the track clip pro cable, having a weird nerdy fragile antler on the side is enough. I'll give a home made design a try before heading to my nearest electronics shop and paying for a pro to do it. What battery do you use there? Did you use a resistor or just wired stuff on the go? I know squat in electronics, would you be so kind to explain your method and electronic schematics? I would be oh so grateful. Cheers!
vivoune

Post by vivoune »

Bah, nevermind, I just cut the USB cable, hooked a 3.7V PoLi phone battery figured it would be safe consider USB are 5V (also I prefered it over regular AA batteries, more light weight and thinner) and it works good, just need to place a switch in there and it'll be fine.
vivoune

Post by vivoune »

Since it's 3.7v the leds are less lighten up but so far it doesn't change anything.
P.S Sry for the triple post, can't edit.
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Very interesting. Does it feel heavy on the headset?
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav
vivoune

Post by vivoune »

Well, it must be a tad heavier but I can hardly feel a difference, the battery is not even 20g. I regularly use the Track Clip pro and always leave it installed on the headset weather I use it or not so it's rdy on the flick of a switch. The comfort of the headset isn't altered as far as I could tell but the Headset I am using is a a rather heavy one in the first place.

I doubt it weight more than the usually attached USB cable going out of the trackclip pro tbh.

5quirrel

Post by 5quirrel »

Hi Vivoune, sorry for the delay I have been busy doing IVAO aviation stuff. I did not use any resistors or electronics, just a simple battery through a switch. I figured I needed bright LED’s so the sensor would pick them up well; therefore I used an A11 6v battery http://www.batterystation.co.uk/energiz ... L1016-MN11

This seems to work well even in well lit conditions and is lightweight so I do not notice it connected to my headset. I could have used a battery holder so it would be easier to change batteries but as this was a prototype I cut a few corners ;)
robskij

Post by robskij »

I've just changed from a wired headset to a wireless surround sound headset... (Astro A50's very nice impressive headset... solid... superb sound quality)

Since getting these I have simply dropped used of my TrackIR (which has been nice in ARMA3 when it doesn't go into spas mode unable to centre itself !)

I'd love to get it back on in a wireless setup and have decided that what it needs is a nice lithium polymer battery pack.. lightweight that has USB power out and can also be charged via USB.... it would ideally have a visual charge indicator... maybe with an audible soft tone beep when it needs recharging....

I'm going to have a play about with a LiPo battery from a bit of remote control car kit with a micro USB charging circuit and a very small project box as a concept and may post up some pics if I don't blow myself up......

later
Rob
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello robskij,

I look forward to see what you come up with!
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager