TrackIR 5 and War Thunder - Help my dad out!

Hutchiewoo

TrackIR 5 and War Thunder - Help my dad out!

Post by Hutchiewoo »

Long story short - my dad used to be a pilot but now suffers from degenerative motor neurone disease and can only move his head. A while ago I set up a rig for him with TrackIR so we can play flight sims together with him controlling pitch, roll and yaw with his head movements and me taking care of everything else. Recently he's been watching me playing War Thunder and is absolutely itching to get in the cockpit himself (so to speak), being a great lover of WW2 aviation.

The problem is (like quite a few TrackIR-compatible games), there seems to be no facility for assigning TrackIR movements to non-traditional functions, i.e. anything other than 'view', and no amount of tinkering with options has allowed me to assign the required pitch, roll and yaw to plane movement like he needs.

I know it's a long shot but if any anybody has any suggestions we'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks,
Rob
Seth Steiling

Re: TrackIR 5 and War Thunder - Help my dad out!

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, the mapping of data streamed over from TrackIR is something that the game devs alone have control of. Some enable remapping via configuration options within their game, but most don't. I would suggest reaching out to Gaijin Entertainment to see if they could implement some supplemental mapping options for TrackIR. Alternatively, you could experiment with the mouse emulation utility, which might allow you a more circuitous way to achieve the controls you are looking for.

Good luck!

- Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack