Garrys Mod

Jimlad

Garrys Mod

Post by Jimlad »

Have you guys thought about trying to implement a TrackIR addon for GMod? I noticed that insurgency is supported, so I wonder whether other source games are similar. The reason why GMod is more appropriate is that its community is built around mods/addons, and gameplay tends to feature vehicles very heavily, and view control is often an issue.

It's easy enough to use mouse emulation, but this can unintentionally affect other controls as well, such as vehicle controls and weapon aim direction. It might even be possible to make a TrackIR addon like standard GMod addons, without needing to contact the developers.
Seth Steiling

Re: Garrys Mod

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Jimlad. It's true that Insurgency does support TrackIR, but I believe that the TrackIR component is somewhat in disrepair at the moment, and my recollection is that the mod team has not been able to allocate time to troubleshoot it. In any event, if a modder wanted to create a TrackIR addon for Garry's Mod, I'd be willing to discuss the possibility, though I believe that the Source engine does not respond well when you try to separate view from aim, which is necessary to integrate TrackIR into a game. The best solution would be for Valve to integrate our SDK in their engine directly--something that we would be all for.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Lapin

Post by Lapin »

Greetings :)

I just bought TrackIR 5 and i'm playing Garry's mod , i'm a modder (Coding LUA on Garry's mod)

I was interrested of the idea here .
though I believe that the Source engine does not respond well when you try to separate view from aim, which is necessary to integrate TrackIR into a game
Yes it is possible in Garry's mod , and in LUA (no need DLL module for that) !

Here is an example of Cusome viewmodel position (Making realistic view system)
http://youtu.be/JD6bepTpNEQ?t=13s

Here the View don't move , only the View-model (the weapon) move but its possible to move only the camera without moving the View-model

Here is how i think it should work (I'm not a C++ coder , maybe what i say could be wrong) there should be a DLL module (Infos here : http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Creating_Binary_Modules )

The module should be clientside (Logic hehe) and have Global Strings to define the angles of the User's head.

With those angles , we could change the camera angle really easily (In LUA) and then send the variables to the server (Still in LUA) to make the Player-Model's head moving(Maybe optional).

Others infos : The creator : Garry Newman already implanted a system using Kinect , so i think he could accept to work on it if you ask him.
Lapin

Post by Lapin »

Is the forum Dead ? :?

I'm still here and i'm leading a Developer team so i can code a module but i'll need some informations (SDK ?) to make it work.

Greetings.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Lapin wrote:Is the forum Dead ? :?

I'm still here and i'm leading a Developer team so i can code a module but i'll need some informations (SDK ?) to make it work.

Greetings.
Hi Lapin,

We've received several SDK requests related to supporting Garry's Mod over the past month. We prefer to work with the dev directly, but we're open to supporting a community development effort if necessary. At this point, I'm just trying to sort out where all of the requests are coming from, and which community member is best qualified to lead the development.

If you'd like to throw your hat in the ring, please submit an SDK request here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/05- ... -form.html
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Lapin

Post by Lapin »

Yeah, i did it yesterday, thanks for your answer :)