Keyboard emulation?

Pestilence

Keyboard emulation?

Post by Pestilence »

Seems like the supported games list is a little slim. As such, forcing function from unsupported games is an important issue I must consider prior to purchase. I'd like to get the TrackIR 5 Pro package but I need to know if I will be able to utilize it in unsupported games. By this I am asking: Is there keyboard emulation available and how well does it function?

Ex: GameA is a FPS that does not support TrackIR or plan to in the future despite threats to the safety of them and their loved ones. They have Lean function in the game, but it is not analog. I want to use TrackIR to lean regardless, so I need to bind those lean keys to a zone along that TrackIR axis.

A: Ideally, we should be able to setup multiple zones to bind keyboard functions to. Those zones should be able to overlap.
B: Each zone should be capable of assigning keyboard functions to in 2 ways: When Entering zone, and when Exiting zone.
C: Those bound functions should be any of 3 types: "Press" "Hold" "Release".

This would allow TrackIR to work quite well for ANY game regardless of support. That allows more reason to purchase TrackIR, THAT allows more reason to support TrackIR in games... The circle of money.

Let me know if any similar software or function exists currently. If not: Devs, how much trouble is involved in creating it?
Seth Steiling

Re: Keyboard emulation?

Post by Seth Steiling »

Though it's pretty long in the tooth, many users are still getting a lot of mileage out of TrackMapper--a community developed tool from back in the day that offers much of what you're asking for.

http://kaf.tri6.net/trackmapper/

I don't believe it provides the nuance of press/hold/release functions for zone entry and exit. Still, it's definitely going to be your best bet. While fully integrated keyboard mapping is something that I'd love to see included in our software, it's not presently on the roadmap.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Pestilence

Post by Pestilence »

Yeah, that was the only one I've managed to find in my searching. I had assumed that it would not be compatible with current hardware due to it's age, I'll have my buddy verify it for me. I'll see if the creator is still alive to assist me in a reimagining of the software.

What I need, have never tried, and can not easily attempt as I do not yet own the TrackIR5... is a way to read the raw data from each movement axis. I'd rather each axis read independent of the others then assign commands to the virtual target as that program appears to. We'll see if my aged programming skills are still up to the task.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

You can definitely obtain raw 6 DOF data straight from our vector engine via the Vector Tracking sample in our free C/C++ Camera SDK:

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... _Beta1.exe
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Pestilence

Post by Pestilence »

Fantastic! That looks like exactly what I need.
Billbo331

Post by Billbo331 »

I've been looking at TrackIR for the purpose of emulating key presses on a keyboard and was wondering if the somewhat old third-party piece of software works for version 5 or if you made any progress on your own?
Pestilence

Post by Pestilence »

I won't be able to conferm that untill next year as I have not yet purchased the hardware. I have been saveing the TrackIR as a Christmas gift idea for someone, though I'll buy it for myself if it isnt bought for me.
I didnt start my own version yet either as I'd rather not guess at the raw data values. I need solid data to ensure it doesnt go ape and that requires the hardware.

Someone test that old software for compatability with TrackIR5, and I'll try asking the guy who showed it to me to try it in case noone else does.