TrackIR support still missing for Star Citizen.

EdgeNP

TrackIR support still missing for Star Citizen.

Post by EdgeNP »

So, after many months of having access to the Hanger Module, Star Citizen's Dogfighting Module (DFM) is now finally out. However, the option to use TrackIR with it is not available. While the Star Citizen developers plan to eventually support it by launch (it was a Kickstarter funding goal), that's a long ways off with a lot of people turning to other solution in the meanwhile (like the Oculus Rift).

In fact, the developers have put quite a bit of time and effort into getting Rift support in, and yet the much easier TrackIR integration sits on the wayside. If I sound frustrated by that, I am, and perhaps Natural Point should be as well.. because it seems like you're losing a lot of potential hardware sales over this. You know how competitive gamers are, and as they continue to try and top one anothers scores in the single-player DFM matches and the multiplayer matches become available to more testers, every one of them is going to be looking for an edge. And I suspect few people are going to patiently wait on a distant promise of TrackIR support instead of turning to something else.

Isn't there something you can do on your end to get the SC developers interested in speeding this along? Weren't you assisting them at one point with their motion capture efforts? Between your past relationship, the potential sales at stake, and how easy TrackIR implementation is supposed to be, I would think Natural Point would be all over this, trying their best to get the developers to care about TrackIR support the way they fawn over the Rift.

In the coming days and weeks, people are going to be flocking to Youtube to catch demo videos of real players finally playing in Star Citizen's Dogfighting Module, and isn't it better for your business if the titles and description of those videos have "TrackIR" in them? It was, after all, a Youtube ARMA video that got me aware of and interested in TrackIR.
jimbo0270

Re: TrackIR support still missing for Star Citizen.

Post by jimbo0270 »

The issue isn't wholey on the developer (CIG). These things need to be integrated into the engine. Crytek had to implement the rift as they had pressure from many developer to get that running. It made it a priority for Crytek. While CIG can probably program support into the engine, control setup where not a priority to get the module launched.

I cannot wait for this either... but wait me must. :(
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

I'm not so sure that Crytek needs to be involved to implement TrackIR. For the Rift, I assume that had more to do with the 3D than the view control (which is simply a data stream adjusting the game camera view).

In any case, there's not much we can do at this point to influence C.I.—even considering our connection to their mocap system. Their animation department likely doesn't have purview extending to whomever would be integrating TrackIR. :-)

Last I heard was that the next rev of the dogfighting module would have TrackIR support. Fingers crossed.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Nov8tr

Post by Nov8tr »

Unfortunately we still don't have TrackIR support. Despite the fact it was one of the very early stretch goals. Some have got it sort of working by using 3rd party software with the TrackIR. Well we all know how well that works. I'm not even bothering to try 3rd party software. I will wait till I can actually turn on my TrackIR 5 with TrackIR software. I see more support for OC. I'm sorry I am not putting a box in front of my eyes. Yes it is neat, but I can't see the keyboard now can I? I've have that type of thing several times in the past and it was OK but gave me horrible headaches. I prefer TrackIR by far. Come the end of the month my standard beta access to Elite Dangerous starts up and they have TrackIR working. Going to be fun. Now I just wish they would get it working in SC. I'm sure they will in time, but of course I'd prefer it was now, hehe. :D
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

I hope so!
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav