Really? Run everything as administrator?

escaner

Re: Really? Run everything as administrator?

Post by escaner »

Athanasius, thank's a lot for the "patch", working here too. :)

It does not modify the file manifest, I think that would invalidate the signature. Who knows in which obscure corner of Windows this data is stored... I bet for the registry. :roll:
Ross MacGregor

Post by Ross MacGregor »

Hi guys, thanks for the help. I am the original poster and have found a very simple solution to the problem. Create a batch file that looks something like this:

Code: Select all

set __COMPAT_LAYER=RUNASINVOKER
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TrackIR5.exe"
Then just run the batch file, it is as easy as that!
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Ross MacGregor,

Thank you for posting this.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh »

It is now December 2015. I have just purchased and installed TrackIR5, downloaded the latest software and installed. This issue is still hasn't been resolved. Hopefully I will find the workaround above works, but it severely takes the shine off the product that for the time being Naturalpoint leave it up to their customers' hopefully good fortune to stumble upon a hackish workaround that lets them resolve the issue themselves.

From everything I have seen posted. Move bespoke configuration to user profile areas. Separate software/game-profile updates into a separate bunch of binaries that can be run as elevated as required for that purpose only and briefly as found necessary. Remove the elevation requirement from the Track-IT interface itself. I'm sure it's a little more complicated than that, but no problem for a decent developer and I am sure that you have enough of those (assuming they are not all like that developer who's lack of documentation and departure left you reverse engineering everything they had done - schoolboy error, tsk-tsk).

Apart from the above problem it seems to be a very nice product. For something that's been out this long it's not cheap though, I'd expect that little extra polish.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Gurgeh,

Please go to http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/downloads/ and update yourself to the latest version of our software to resolve this issue.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Gurgeh,

The solution was already in the works and roughly what you had planned. Here is a snippet from our changelog. Let me know if there are any issues you see with the new version!

* No longer requires the user to run the software with administrator privileges.
* Moved writable files out of Program Files directory and into %AppData%\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\
* Made install of Visual C++ redistributable and USB drivers prerequisites mandatory.
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
pietbarber

Post by pietbarber »

I have successfully followed these steps to run TrackIR without needing to be an Administrator. Thanks for the tip!
escaner

Post by escaner »

pietbarber, you don't need to do anything special now. NaturalPoint fixed it since V5.3.

BTW, Mike thank's a lot. I moved my simulation/gaming computer to W10 recently and reinstalled the soft. The fixes work like a charm. :)
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

escaner,

We are doing everything we can to make it better for you guys. You are very welcome.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager