TrackClip project

andrei4002

TrackClip project

Post by andrei4002 »

Hello

I want to benefit from the precision of track clip pro, but I don't want it mounted on a headset.
I will be using TrackIR on a 50" screen, about 9 feet distance, and I really don't want my headphones on my ears (I'm ok with a hat though).

The question is, would the TrackIR system work if I would do a custom DIY solution with three IR leds mounted on a hat, just like the regular TrackIR hat clip?
MikeWitham

Re: TrackClip project

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello andrei4002,

If you use LEDs that are the right frequency of IR, and mount them in the exact same position as the TrackClip, it should work. For the LEDs we suggest using the LED: Ultra Wide Angle IR 850nm, because they have been tested with our system and are on our site. As for the mounting, some people have tried using the TrackClip as a mounting bracket so the orientation is correct.

I will say that even though it should work, this configuration is completely unsupported. We wouldn't be able to offer any form of support or troubleshooting. I do love the idea and would love to know about your progress along the way, as well as the final result.

The LEDs can be bought here:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... s-markers/

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
andrei4002

Post by andrei4002 »

Thanks for the info!

I already ordered some SFH485P leds a few days ago, before posting this (they seem to be really popular with freetrack), so I'll test on those first when they come (hopefully the results will be satisfactory)

Meanwhile, I managed to make trackIR to sort-of-work with the standard clip, by tweaking the camera options, turning the camera led brightness to the max and also the light threshold to the max, which seems to boost the range to about 8-9 feet, with good tracking results (I do experience some tracking loss when I tilt my head down too much, but it seems that setting software limits on the pitch can help with those too - awesome configuration app by the way, I love it!)

will update this after I receive and setup the led thingy
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

andrei4002,

I'm glad that it's working for you with only minor performance loss. Please keep me updated, I'm very interested in the success of your LED hat.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
andrei4002

Post by andrei4002 »

ok, so i've got the osram leds, did a quick mount for a test using the scheme I found here, and all I have to say is WOW.

I'm at 9-10 feet to the camera, in a well lit room too, and it NEVER loses track!

will post some pics in a few days, once I find a way to make the thing look a little more 'pro' - it currently looks like it's a bomb or something :)
andrei4002

Post by andrei4002 »

ok. so this is the final product :)

it also has a small button (almost invisible) on the back for turning on and off, it can be easily removed (it's attached to the standard track clip)

MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

andrei4002,

I see that you left the reflective tape on the TrackClip. Does that help or hurt the tracking from a distance? I like the finished product!

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
andrei4002

Post by andrei4002 »

well it doesn't hurt the performance, at 9 feet the camera doesn't even see the tape, but still, if i get closer, i don't see any changes in the way of how the tracking performs

not sure if it matters, the leds are powered at 70mA from what I read, so I guess they're pretty bright for the camera
RandomTask

Post by RandomTask »

@andrel4002 or anyone else actually.

The image you posted has now gone, so couldn't see what you built.

You said you were going to use a 'CAP' model but was advised to build a CLIP model. What did you use in the end?

Or

Could someone confirm / deny that a home made 3 LED CAP model will work with TrackIR 5 please?

I have no faith in the Track Clip pro and from experiments with FreeTrack and Opentrack, a CLIP model is very very bad at tracking accuracy.

Thanks
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

RandomTask,

I can confirm that if the placement is right a 3 LED cap will work. It would be easiest to use an existing TrackClip to get the spacing and placement correct, but it can be done.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager