Unicast packet client disconnect

NatNet, VRPN, TrackD, and Plugins
bteitler

Unicast packet client disconnect

Post by bteitler »

Can someone explain to me how to "disconnect" a packet client using Unicast protocol from Motive? From what I can tell, the packet client example sends a single "ping" packet which causes Motive to start sending data, but it is unclear how to de-register a client, as there is no example for this. I'm a bit worried that clients connecting and disconnecting is causing bandwidth to increase unnecessarily.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Unicast packet client disconnect

Post by morgan »

Currently there is no message for direct depacketization clients to register a disconnect from server when using Unicast. We've made a note to schedule this for the next NatNet release.

In the interim, is it possible for you to use Multicast, which would prevent the duplication of packets when multiple clients are involved?

Morgan
bteitler

Post by bteitler »

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I cannot use multicast because my use case is wireless, and wireless multicast performance is very poor, and seems unpredictable. After reading a bit on wireless multicast, it seems that this is somewhat expected and not recommended to use multicast for time sensitive and bandwidth intensive applications over a wireless network.
morgan
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by morgan »

OK - We'll work on getting a disconnect for unicast clients into the next release of Motive.

thx!

Morgan