SmartNav wear and tear

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
banikslap

SmartNav wear and tear

Post by banikslap »

I have had to order 3 cameras in 5 years because the socket the cord plugs into in the camera seems to wear out. The camera will stop working suddenly and the SmartNav window will say no data. If I unplug the camera in any way and plug it back in, my computer responds so the computer is aware whether the camera is plugged in or not. I have restarted my computer, reinstalled the software and drivers and there is no difference. If I lightly jiggle the cord where it connects to the camera, it will start working again temporarily but the situation degrades until that does not work. Shouldn't a product I'm paying $500 for last longer?
*I do not disturb the camera connection during regular use
MikeWitham

Re: SmartNav wear and tear

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello banikslap,

I am concerned because this is not a typical issue. I don't often see failures like this, this frequently. The cameras do carry a limited warranty as well as life time tech support. Did you contact us for help on any of the previous SmartNavs you've had? Have you created a ticket at help.naturalpoint.com to resolve this issue? Have you tried supporting the cable in a way that the weight is not pulling on the USB jack as much?

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
TheIronGod

Post by TheIronGod »

I, too, just purchased my second unit because of the same problem. I didn't contact anybody because it was well past the warrantee. I got a second computer and was transferring the smartnav device between the two machines by unplugging it from the mini-usb port on the back of the device. After only 2 months of that, it did exactly what the original poster described. Those mini-usb ports, I learned too late, are notorious for dying quickly in cellphones with any frequent activity. I actually came here to ask if the company would replace the port on my first device for under $75. Otherwise, I can go to amazon.com and buy a soldering kit for $35 and a new port for $1.50 and ask a buddy to be my hands and fix it myself...
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

TheIronGod,

Please create a ticket for me at help.naturalpoint.com and I will see what I can do to take care you this for you.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager