Neck pain

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Eddy

Neck pain

Post by Eddy »

Hi guys, I bought the Smartnav a week ago for my RSI of 7 years. At first it was great, my hand and wrist pain has gone down immensely. But as the title implies, for the past two days I've had the worst neck pain of my life. I've read many posts on this forum about strategies to stop this happening, I try to keep relaxed and have tried many different settings, hopefully the neck pain will resolve itself soon, I really want to be able to use this as my primary mouse pointer, but at the moment I'm considering sending it back because I could not really afford it to begin with. Does anyone have any advice regarding neck pain alleviation?
Thanks.
MikeWitham

Re: Neck pain

Post by MikeWitham »

Eddy,

Have you tried different levels of vertical and horizontal speed? Have you tried lowering your screen resolution? What profile are you using currently?

Relaxing is the best I can suggest. You should be able to have it tuned to the point of the cursor moving to where you look naturally.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

I have tried a few different speeds, I'm using a custom profile with the speed set to four or five, and I have lowered my screen resolution. So far the best solution I've found is to move the cursor by moving my body instead of my neck, assigning precision to one of my foot pedals has been especially useful. At first I did not realise there was a precision mode, I think the neck strain was caused by me tensing up when trying to click small objects. This seems to be a good solution, and my neck pain has lessened thankfully.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Eddy,

That is good to hear. I am glad that it has lessened. Some people have found that using a hat and placing the marker on the bill helps it to be more sensitive when looking from side to side.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Since posting this my neck pain has become worse, and this week it started to affect me even when not using the product. I have no choice but to stop using it. I tried to return it but Amazon told me it was too late, this is a disaster for me as I had to take out a loan in order to buy it to begin with. Now I have a very expensive paperweight, and neck pain which I now take medication for, in addition to my hand and wrist rsi.

It seems that the post by Tony 3010 in this thread https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtop ... =15&t=1650 sums up what happened to me.
DonaldPneumonic

Post by DonaldPneumonic »

The problem could be the overall ergonomics of your workspace. Things like taking frequent breaks, alternating between standing and sitting, and making sure your monitor is eye level all helps. Couple of useful resources online for treating neck pain and making your workspace more ergonomic:

https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/t ... c-overview
http://ergonomictrends.com/creating-per ... ate-guide/