Frame Rates Dropping in game

rodom

Re: Frame Rates Dropping in game

Post by rodom »

This issue is still being looked into currently. I'll post more details as soon as I get them.
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

Thank you for your response Rick, and for continuing to work on the problem.
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

Some additional observations.

The frame drops still occur with time and they never return on their own.

An interesting event happened; my frames halfed and I changed my vid mode from perfect to excellent and nothing happended. When I returned the mode to perfect (still in game) the FPS magically restored to full. I have only been able to do this once.

The question is: is there some kind of a data buffer that gets filled up and starts to "clog up" the flow that maybe got flushed by changing the video mode?

Another observation:

The fps drop is not uniform through out the viewing range. I will break it down now.

Bad - TrackIR engaged
Good- TrackIR OFF (F9)

Looking at sky: Bad: 50 Good: 130
Looking level: Bad:40 Good: 85
Looking down: Bad:30 Good: 33

When looking down sometimes there appears to be almost no change. Looking down also puts the most load on the graphics card.

For most of the game we look horizontally and a drop from 85 to 40 or lower with time is pretty bad.

When the map is first loaded all FPS are GOOD with TrackIR tracking.
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

It is confirmed that Patch 4.02m does NOT fix the problem.
rodom

Post by rodom »

Is that a new recent patch?
BM357_TinMan

Post by BM357_TinMan »

I have to ask, just out of curiosity

Are you using directx or Open GL
o you guys that are having this framerate drop issue have v-sync enabled?

I ask, because, with vsync enabled or in openGL mode, my MAX framerate is 60fps and I see post here of frame rates in excess of 100.

the only time I get such frame rates is when I am using directx and have v-sync disabled

I play with Open GL option choose and do NOT suffer these frame rate drops....However, because I use open GL and not direct X, my frame rates are usually average around 25-30 to begin with. (with the occasion spike to 60 when looking at the sky etc)

[ October 18, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: BM357_TinMan ]
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

Yes Rick, this patch just came out today, Oct 18. It fixed the missing textures issue for Nvidia cards.

I use OpenGL, Perfect mode, Pixel Shading 3, V-sync off (but with it ON the fps still drop)

I don't get 100fps on every map naturally, only on the winter ones. On summer maps I can get quite high though, especially with higher plane altitudes. Looking at the sky however will produce very high FPS on almost any map if the sky is clear.

Might it be possible that the information data stream from the TrackIR to the game gets some slowed down by something and therefore resulting in a slower FPS of the game?

I'm trying to guess here a bit. I realize that the TrackIR has an FPS rating. What does it mean when it says that the 3 PRO is capable of 120fps? Is that a measure of the information transfer, or a measure of the rate of IR scanning? Is it possible that this rate slows down for some reason, or perhaps not all the information is reaching the game engine, due to some unknown cause?

What is the relationship between the FPS of the TrackIR and the FPS of the game?

[ October 31, 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Kosh Naranek ]
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

Any progress to report :-D It would be nice to hear something.
rodom

Post by rodom »

quote:Originally posted by Kosh Naranek:
Yes Rick, this patch just came out today, Oct 18. It fixed the missing textures issue for Nvidia cards.

I use OpenGL, Perfect mode, Vertex Shading 3, V-sync off (but with it ON the fps still drop)

I don't get 100fps on every map naturally, only on the winter ones. On summer maps I can get quite high though, especially with higher plane altitudes. Looking at the sky however will produce very high FPS on almost any map if the sky is clear.

Might it be possible that the information data stream from the TrackIR to the game gets some slowed down by something and therefore resulting in a slower FPS of the game?

I'm trying to guess here a bit. I realize that the TrackIR has an FPS rating. What does it mean when it says that the 3 PRO is capable of 120fps? Is that a measure of the information transfer, or a measure of the rate of IR scanning? Is it possible that this rate slows down for some reason, or perhaps not all the information is reaching the game engine, due to some unknown cause?

What is the relationship between the FPS of the TrackIR and the FPS of the game?FPS in relation to the TrackIR is the amount of frames per second it takes of the tracking data. The higher the number the smoother the tracking is. For example the higher the resolution of your mouse the smoother and more precise you mouse pointer moves.

No new updates at this time folks. We are still working on it.
Kosh

Post by Kosh »

For the first time I actually noticed the occurance of the FPS slowdown. I was hosting an online server for a while and was performing a steady low level turn when the FPS all of a sudden dropped. It was as if someone has flipped a switch, from 45 to 20, instantly. I did not notice any particular events occuring at that instant in the server.

My two squadmates flying with me also experienced slowdowns but not at the same time as I.