Ports in Motive: 1.10

msanghv2

Ports in Motive: 1.10

Post by msanghv2 »

I am working on a project concerning Optitrack and ROS (Ubuntu Virtual Machine on the same computer) and I am struggling getting the two systems to communicate properly.

What I vaguely understand is that data is streamed from motive via an IP address that I specify as the "local interface" (in my case I chose loopback) and then can only be listened to by a specific port, in which case is the data port that I specify as 1511.

So then do I need to enable this port under 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) in the ubuntu machine in order to listen to the data being streamed?

Also do I need to do anything with the NatNet in order to capture the streamed data?

Correct any of my thinking if I am wrong, I am still getting a grasp of everything.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Ports in Motive: 1.10

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello msanghv2,

From the description in your post, it sounds like the streaming may not be configured correctly. When selecting a Local Interface in Motive, you want to select the IP address for the network card that is connected to the Ubuntu machine. Since our Prime Cameras require an isolated network, most PCs using Prime cameras and streaming to a remote client have a second network card installed that is connected to the main network, or the remote client. This is the network card whose IP address you would select.
http://wiki.optitrack.com/index.php?tit ... IP_Address

By selecting Local Loopback, you are setting Motive to stream only locally, on the machine that is running Motive. So the data will not reach your remote client.
Once you have Motive set to stream on the correct network device, your remote client would use the IP displayed in Motive, as well as the Port, to connect.

NatNet does not work directly in Ubuntu, since it has only been designed to work in Windows environments. In order to connect to Motive from an Ubuntu machine, you will need to study the PacketClient sample that is included with the SDK. This will show you the proper protocols for connecting to Motive and depacketing the data.

If you require any further assistance with this, please reach out to us at help.naturalpoint.com

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer