Frame Rates Dropping in game

Caspar

Re: Frame Rates Dropping in game

Post by Caspar »

I got TrackIR4 Pro and so far it works fine.

But I have a general drop of 5-10 fps when using it.
I have a 'feeling' that this is going even more worse after playing for a while. Not tested deeply yet.

But the mentioned framerate drop is bad enough when I normaly have 30-50 fps without TrackIR. In hard situations (low fly above cities, in clouds etc.) it drops below 20fps. Its impossible to pan then with the TrackIR or to see anything.

Reducing grafic settings didn't help much and I don't see why I should do it, when I have nice frames without TrackIR.

My specs:

P4 2,8GHz
GeForce 6800 GT
1,5GB RAM
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Yes, you have a nice enough computer that this definitely should not be happening. I will forward this thread to our lead programmer for his insights.
Caspar

Post by Caspar »

Adding another spec:

VIA PT800 chipset
(may be important sometimes)

I installed latest drivers (also VIA USB2.0 driver, as I thought this could be the problem).
But nothing changed.

And I have to say, that if I take off the hat and the game switches automaticly back to coolie mode, the framerate increases to normal, while by disabling TrackIR per hotkey (F9) but leaving the hat on my head, have still bad framerate mentioned above.

A friend of mine has almost a same computer, same RAM, same video card, but different CPU (AMD I think) and he do not have this problem with his TrackIR4 Pro.

Hope adding this helped in any way.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Are you using the latest 4in1 (or what ever it is called these days)? I would also get from M$ the latest (April) DirectX Runtime and then:-

Run the latest 4in1
Reboot
Run the DirectX runtime
Reboot
and then try the TIR in a different port.
Caspar

Post by Caspar »

I got DirectX9c, but what's 4in1?

TrackIR software is latest version (4.1 build28).

Already tried different ports. No differences.

[ June 05, 2006, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Caspar ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

It is a good idea to go onto the Via website and download the latest drivers for your motherboard. The VIA ones were called 4in1 but I tink they have changed the name since I had a VIA motherboard.

I would go here http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2 and select your operating system and get the latest drivers from VIA then give your TIR another go. You might have to reinstall DirectX.

Good luck.
Caspar

Post by Caspar »

Ah, ok. I have the latest driver, its called VIA Hyperion Pro.

My chipset is listed there (PT800). I see no reason to install a driver for an older or other chipset - what the 4in1 is for.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?Pa ... CatID=1070

Anway, I will reinstall DirectX9c, as it was suggested here a few times now. And then I will report.

[ June 06, 2006, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Caspar ]
Caspar

Post by Caspar »

Still the same issue with after installing April '06 version of DirectX9c.

Also get a framerate drop in LockOn, Targetware and any other TrackIR supporting game I have.

I spoke yesterday to some guys that I know of that they own TrackIRs too. They reported the same dropping, but mostly they never noticed it before due to higher basic framerates. So maybe its simply 'normal' that using TrackIR reduces framerates??? Or isn't it?
kevin

Post by kevin »

Some general tips and hints here:

Do not leave the tracking , heads, or gauges window open in the TrackIR software when playing your game. It is best to close these extra windows and just have the main TrackIR screen running.

Make sure you have the most up to date TrackIR software.

Make sure your USB drivers for your motherboard/USB card are up to date.

The TrackIR should not cause any frame rate hits as the amount of data it uses is minimal and the processor power required is miniscule.

[ June 07, 2006, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Kevin ]
kevin

Post by kevin »

If you are experiencing frame rate drops please go through the following steps.

Do the following:

Click Start --> Run

Type dxdiag and click OK

This will launch dxdiag. Click Next.

Check that there are no warnings on the DirectX Files tab. If there are it could be that you have corrupt/out-of-date drivers.

Click next

Run all the display tests. Note any errors. (if you have two monitors you'll need to run tests for each one)

Click next

Save the report to your desktop.

Attach the report to an email and send it to support@naturalpoint.com.

In the email please note whether you are experiencing frame rate drops in ALL games you play with TrackIR or just some games.

Also please check your processes tab and check to see how much CPU the TrackIR software is taking when it is just running by itself.

We will work to compile your responses and identify a solution.

Thanks,
Kevin

[ June 07, 2006, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Kevin ]