Software Installer Assistance

Lucky8223

Software Installer Assistance

Post by Lucky8223 »

Good Evening,

I seem to be having issues updating my software to the newest version.

To give a little background:

Win 10

I have Track IR 4, and haven't been able to use the device for quite some time due to work, family etc. I used to use it regularly without any issues. I finally had some time and decided to jump back in to Elite Dangerous. I was using the device just fine with one of the older version 5 software. For Elite Dangerous, which worked fine, I was using 32-bit. If you are familiar with Elite Dangerous, you had the option of 32 bit versus 64 bit to load the game. So all was well. I decided to download the Horizons pass which I think can only be run in 64 bit now. This is where my issue occurred. It would not recognize the device, so I thought it might be a good time to update software.

When I went to the site to update, I saved the newest version to my desktop and right clicked to run as admin. It acts as though it is going to install by showing the TrackIR5 image, extracting the msi files and proceeds to the installer where you would need to click next to start the install. This is where my issue occurs. The next and back buttons are grayed out, and cancel is available. I thought it might just be taking some time to process so I left it. First attempt was an hour and the dialog box remained. Second I left overnight, and still nothing. Even when I hit cancel, it would prompt the second approval to cancel, and clicking yes, it still would remain. The only way to close would be terminating the task in task manager.

So I did a uninstall to see if a fresh install would work with just the newest version. Same thing. Luckily I had the old V 4.1.036 DVD as this is the only way I can have the software installed, but its outdated and cannot upgrade to the newest software.
MikeWitham

Re: Software Installer Assistance

Post by MikeWitham »

Lucky8223,

It sounds like an old file may be holding up the installation. You may need to remove TrackIR and any remaining files before it will install. I've seen this in the past, some basic steps are to remove the older version first, then remove any NaturalPoint files still on the PC. If that doesn't work you may need to remove the entries from the registry in order for it to go through.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
Lucky8223

Post by Lucky8223 »

Thanks Mike. I found the issue. An old driver was still present. I had to delete from the registry. It then allowed for a clean installation. Thanks!
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

Lucky8223,

Glad to hear it is resolved.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager