Intermittant SmartNav with Windows 8.1

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
tickerice

Intermittant SmartNav with Windows 8.1

Post by tickerice »

My wife has used SmartNav products for years. She is a quadriplegic and completely relies on your product to communicate. We recently got her a new laptop that has windows 8.1. We loaded the newest SmartNav software successfully but have been experiencing intermittent functioning of the SmartNav camera. I have read through the forum posts and have changed the settings for the USB hubs so they will power off. I have changed the cable and tried every fix I could find in the forum. It will track fine for a while and then just stop. This happens more just after the computer is powered up, but has happened even after using the SmartNav for hours. It seems to be more of a hardware issue than programming. This is the 3rd SmartNav we have purchased. The last 2 also exhibited this type of behavior after a couple years of use. My wife is in a panic and is ready to purchase another SmartNav, but at $500 a pop I would really like to know what the issue is with this. Our current SmartNav is only 2 years old. Please help!
MikeWitham

Re: Intermittant SmartNav with Windows 8.1

Post by MikeWitham »

Hello Tickerice,

I would like to be able to discuss a few options with you. Would you please create a ticket with me at help.naturalpoint.com?
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
tickerice

Post by tickerice »

Hi Mike. I've spoken with you before. Yes, I will create a ticket. In addition, I was looking through the forum an came across this post from a year or so ago from another user. This perfectly describes the problem we are having even down to the buying of multiple cameras over the years.

]SmartNav wear and tear
by banikslap » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:14 pm
I have had to order 3 cameras in 5 years because the socket the cord plugs into in the camera seems to wear out. The camera will stop working suddenly and the SmartNav window will say no data. If I unplug the camera in any way and plug it back in, my computer responds so the computer is aware whether the camera is plugged in or not. I have restarted my computer, reinstalled the software and drivers and there is no difference. If I lightly jiggle the cord where it connects to the camera, it will start working again temporarily but the situation degrades until that does not work. Shouldn't a product I'm paying $500 for last longer?
*I do not disturb the camera connection during regular use[/color]
tickerice

Post by tickerice »

I completed a ticket, although it is not showing on my open tickets list,, I assume that it will eventually. Thank you for your help.
tickerice

Post by tickerice »

I'm spending an hour at least each time she wants to use her computer to get the SmartNav to connect. We really need a fix for this. We have been customers for over 10 years and it's really time we get this recurring issue fixed. This is her only means of communication and its critical for her.
MikeWitham

Post by MikeWitham »

tickerice,

Once we are done with this issue we will post more about the solution here. I may have to get the unit back and inspected before I can fully comment on the cause.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager