TIR 4 versus 5

Mower

TIR 4 versus 5

Post by Mower »

Hi all,

I have been using your excellent TIR4 with the clip for a decade and it continues to function well.

Is there any advantage to upgrading to TIR 5?

Thanks.

:)
Chris.Johnson

Re: TIR 4 versus 5

Post by Chris.Johnson »

Hello Mower,

Thank you for this question. As long as your Track IR 4 camera is still working, there is no real reason to upgrade to Track IR 5. You can still use the latest Track IR 5 software with your Track IR 4 camera. You may download the latest version at the link listed below.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/downloads/
All the Best,
Chris Johnson
Customer Support Engineer
NaturalPoint
Neil Abrew

Post by Neil Abrew »

Mower,

I had to dig into the web archives for the old TrackIR website for this, but when we still sold the TrackIR 4 alongside the 5, this chart answers your questions :D

TrackIRCompare.PNG
TrackIRCompare.PNG (35.21 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
Neil Abrew
Brand Manger
OptiTrack | TrackIR
Mower

Post by Mower »

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

To my untrained eye, it appears that 5 would give smoother tracking with better fields of view.

In my case with the version 4 sensor, I find that with either the clip or reflector, the sensor loses contact in the upper left quadrant and no amount of tweaking seems to fix that.
Mower

Post by Mower »

Now I wonder if I might get answer to my above question please and here's why:

I am looking at other alternatives in the market but price is not the primary factor, improved performance is.
Neil Abrew

Post by Neil Abrew »

Mower,

As you can see from the chart, TrackIR 5 features a huge upgrade in sensor sub-pixel resolution and field of view, which would eliminate the issues you are experiencing with the TIR4. In addition, you would get more effective range and LED power in the 5 which would help to overcome ambient sunlight in your playing space (which may or may not be affecting your 4).
Neil Abrew
Brand Manger
OptiTrack | TrackIR
Mower

Post by Mower »

Thanks for the response, Neil, I have pulled the trigger on TIR5 tonight!