Oculus Update

BrunoMartelli

Oculus Update

Post by BrunoMartelli »

Hi Oculus just updated itself.

Previously on this screen see attachment - I could use the Touch remote to bypass this message (Can't
cantfiond sensrp.PNG
cantfiond sensrp.PNG (102.3 KiB) Viewed 7393 times
find sensor)

Now I cant select the dialogue box.

any ideas?

Ps this forum does not work very well - dragging and dropping attachments in the message box doesn't work and previewing blanks the entire post after logging you out first.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Oculus Update

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi BrunoMartelli,

Unfortunately, Oculus pushed this requirement in their latest updates, and we have been unable to overcome that error message. For the time being, we recommend avoiding the update, and rolling back if at all possible. Otherwise, the Oculus sensors will need to be plugged in to bypass that warning.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
BrunoMartelli

Post by BrunoMartelli »

How to roll back?
BrunoMartelli

Post by BrunoMartelli »

Testing with the sensor plugged in brings no joy for me, instead a new error message 'Pending Hardware Issure preveting VR app from Starting'.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Thanks BrunoMartelli,

Unfortunately, that new error message is not familiar to us. You might try running the Oculus system on its own, using its default applications, to see if the error message persists there.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
BrunoMartelli

Post by BrunoMartelli »

ok i manged to rollback by manully reinstalling all the software and hidden bits from an airgapped pc.
Oculus support = no help at all will not give any older software
I can get it to work sometimes but there is an intermittent problem with the VR not in stereo sometimes. Possibly to do with the virtual desktop...
This all a big shame as the whole thing was working 100% fantastic EVERY time before the Oculus update. I guss the answer is get it working, disconnect the PC from the internet. Buy a new pc to connect to the internet...
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Thanks for the update.

It is unfortunate, the route that the Oculus updates have taken. They used to be the more open platform, but this seems to have changed. We now stir people toward the Vive, as they have begun opening their platform to allow us better integration.

Cheers,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
BrunoMartelli

Post by BrunoMartelli »

Ok Steven, VIVE is not really an option right now as we have Oculus headsets and clips.

So far I have manually reinstalled the older Oculus software. I'm using Unreal 4.21 and the relevant Optitrack plugs on an air-gapped PC. The Optitrack data is streaming from another PC via a separate wifi router, not internet-connected.
In Unreal this works *sometimes* but not every time. The error that happens in Unreal is that either the stereo is wrong or rotation tracking is wrong.
Some projects in Unreal work more often than others. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it will work or not, maybe a restart, maybe restarting the software, or just opening and closing levels will fix it. In any case I can always use the remote correctly to select dialogues and the VR virtual desktop/Oculus interface works with correct stereo every time.

With the same PC, I am able to unplug the Optitrack Oculus HMD clip and use the Oculus sensors and the headset always behaves.

This makes me think is in the OptitrackHMD pawn/plugin combo, now that the Oculus software can't connect to the internet.? It takes a hell of a long time to start up and then says " Can't connect to internet etc." but I wonder if its periodically checking this?

I wonder if:
a) Optitrack plans to update the Unreal Optitrack Plugins to work with the new Oculus software and when might that happen.
b) anyone else is having this problem.
c) anyone has an idea how to fix it?
BrunoMartelli

Post by BrunoMartelli »

Ok so the latest, latest on this problem is that it appears if/when the stereo breaks then by restarting the Unreal software can fix it. The Unreal will work fine for 9 or 10 times (of running a level in the editor) then the 11th time will break, or it will break the first time, or the second time. But an Unreal restart was appearing to fix it yesterday.
-- I am yet to test this with a cooked project. I notice in the editor log there are several error messages about network things (connecting to EPIC servers) but that doesn't appear to affect anything.
AND
I was then having problems with the Optirack tracking being laggy, but this turned out to be wifi signal. I fixed this by using a mobile app to scan for free wifi channels and setting my wifi router to use that channel.
BrunoMartelli

Post by BrunoMartelli »

oh and I forgot to say, (and sorry if this is patently obvious to everyone) - when we were testing out the live mocap streaming to Unreal from our performer, the bandwidth is about, IDK 1.2mbps or something, anyway dropping the frame rate of the cameras from 240fps to 120fps half's the bandwidth, but doesn't affect how the character appears live in Unreal. In fact, dropping it down to 30fps doesn't seem to have any noticable affect in Unreal either that we could discern - this might help out with network issues when multiple performers are being streamed.