Frame hangs ONLY when TrackIR is running?

Mizra

Frame hangs ONLY when TrackIR is running?

Post by Mizra »

Hey all - I've been encountering this awful frame hang issue with DCS World, and I've narrowed down the culprit to TrackIR.

I typically run DCS World at 1080p on a single monitor at well over 60 FPS. However, when I run it with TrackIR, my GPU usage nearly doubles and, every minute or so, I get these 3-6 second long frame hangs. (I suspect they're CPU related because, when testing in MP, my friend reported bizarre server desync during the freezes.)

To test, I capped my DCS framerate at 60 and launched the same mission twice - once with TrackIR on, and once without. The graphs from the Performance tab of the Task Manager look like this

[img]httpsi.imgur.comOrtu7Ri.png[img]

I was under the impression that TrackIR was not supposed to have a big impact on performance, so I'm thinking there must be some weirdness going on under the hood. My specs are

Processor Ryzen 7 1700
Video Card GeForce GTX 1070
Ram 16GB
Monitor is 144Hz - not sure if this would have anything to do with it.
TrackIR version 5.4.2
DCS World installed on SSD

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

UPDATE/SOLUTION!
When the frame hangs occurred, I noticed that a specific app was jumping to the top of the list of CPU hogs: MBAM.exe (My antivirus software.) Disabling this software while running trackIR seems to have solved the issue for me.
Last edited by Mizra on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nlr

Re: Frame hangs ONLY when TrackIR is running?

Post by nlr »

Hi Mizra

I'm having the same problem with DCS since about 2 days ago.

Every 45 seconds or so, I have a 1 sec hang. Tracking GPU usage in task manager shows usage dropping from 60% down to 5-10%.

I did some messing around, and noticed if TrackIR is running but my hat clip is out of view of the camera, the issue stops. When the hat clip is back in view of the camera, the issue starts up again. Strange.

I had a notification pop up in TrackIR for a game list update recently. I was wondering if something in that was causing the problem, so uninstalled and reinstalled the TrackIR application. No luck, issue persists.

I don't have any other games that use head tracking except Elite: Dangerous, but I'm going to give that a go later and see if the issue is present there.
Mizra

Post by Mizra »

Hey, I think I found a solution! I disabled my antivirus (Malwarebytes) and the frame hangs seem to have stopped.
nlr

Post by nlr »

Yep, same here Mizra.

I didn't have any issue in Elite: Dangerous with Malwarebytes running, only in DCS.

Strange, but at least I know now it's not hardware related. Already had one dead TrackIR unit, didn't want to have to get a third one! :D