Heavy X and Z axis drift when turning head to the left

Asken

Heavy X and Z axis drift when turning head to the left

Post by Asken »

Hello, I've recently encountered an issue that I haven't had before. When I look to the left, the software also picks up x movement to the left and z movement forward. This is very annoying when looking I'm behind myself in some games. Weirdly enough, this only happens when I look to the left, not the right (or at least not as much)! I'm using the normal clip that fastens on a cap.

These images are with the default "Smooth" profile that comes with the software
Looking to the left:

Looking to the right:
jon.campbell

Re: Heavy X and Z axis drift when turning head to the left

Post by jon.campbell »

Hello,

Thank you for posting on the TrackIR forums. I will try my best to help you.

Is your head centered in front of the camera? Is the camera the aligned with your monitor (Not rotated). Are you moving your head in the X and Z direction while rotating it? When you start in the TrackIR software and you have your head centered, are you hitting F12 to center the view?

Let me know if any of the above suggestions help.
Jon Campbell
Customer Support Engineer
TrackIR
NaturalPoint
Asken

Post by Asken »

Yeah, I've tried all those things but it hasn't helped sadly. I've also tried removing and recentering the clip on my cap. I guess I could tune the software profile to ignore some of the X and Z motion. It will make it less responsive when I do want to move in the x or z direction though.
Dunkelmann

Post by Dunkelmann »

I am a new user to TrackIR and I experienced a similar non-symmetrical behaviour plus a continual need to recentre. When I unticked True View things became a lot better.

I also found I had to adjust the light related sliders as I sit facing a curtained window in full sun.

I made sure my clip was detected as being in the centre.

At first I thought the device was faulty but I think it is tricky to set up. I play the IL2 Great Battles series but never seem to get the smooth head movement I see in the YouTube videos, however I guess it is a cycle of adjust and practice.

I hate not having True View but until the detection software is fixed, I will have to live without it.
Asken

Post by Asken »

I managed to fix the issue today. Apparently my trackir clip for my cap had bent slightly (barely noticable) when I did some traveling with it (had it in my luggage). I just bent it back with my hands, to what looked symmetrical to me and I no longer experience any heavy drift in any of the X, Y, or Z axes.
jon.campbell

Post by jon.campbell »

Hi Asken,

Thank you for reporting back with your fix. I will note this for future reference!
Jon Campbell
Customer Support Engineer
TrackIR
NaturalPoint