TIR in GTR?

TailFlamer

TIR in GTR?

Post by TailFlamer »

Hi guys

Does anyone know for sure if SimBin has been in contact with Naturalpoint about native support for TIR in their upcoming GTR game?

In the press demo, TIR doesn't seem to work very well at all, nothing like the smoothness and control one has with it in F1C.

I hope some of the devs will get with the guys here and work on this. It is a must have feature for the game, but since TIR in race sims is just beginning to catch on, I fear that it will be missed in GTR. I know the controls menu speaks of "TrackIR", but it looks like they are calling "Mouse Look" TIR and there really isn't native support for the device.

Here is a post I put up a few days ago, in hopes of ensuring we get true support for TIR. Please feel free to post with your concerns about the use of the device in the game.

Thanks all
Wayne

Re: TIR in GTR?

Post by Wayne »

Hello TailFlamer,

To anwser your qustion...I am happy to say Yes.
We are in contact with the guys over at SimBin about having TrackIR supported in GTR.

At the moment you can only use TrackIR in relative mode as you said which is less than ideal, however I have been able to set quite a reasonable profile for the GTR press release version.

We are also working with other developers on some up and coming games. I am sure that there will be something for everyone.

We are working hard here at NaturalPoint to add more and more support in new games.

I dont know what other peoples comments are but I think that GTR is going to be a great game and it's on my list.
TailFlamer

Post by TailFlamer »

Great news, thank you.

I am looking forward to GTR too, but wanted to be sure TIR would work well in it. Very nice to hear more and more devs are working with you guys. Of all the comments about TIR from people that have either gotten one, or at least sit down and played a game using it, nearly everyone has been impressed with how it works. People that have tried mine are all simply overwhelmed by how it works.

I let a friend of mine try out the Group C mod for F1C and had TIR going. He didn't want to stop playing. He must have sit here for over an hour driving around and looking into corners and such. He then tried IL-2 FB and was just as amazed by what he could do in it too.

People on the forums that have also give thumbs up by nearly everyone that has used it. It seems the only people that have something negative to say, are those that have never used it.

Bringing TIR into gaming has been revolutionary. Sure nice to hear that more devs are finally catching on to how much better the immersion factor becomes to those of us that have and use it. I would bet before too much longer it will be standard hardware for most simmers, be it flight or racing. Maybe even in 1st Person Shooter's too, but I think it is best in flight and race sims. I did have fairly good success with it in Morrowind. Don't really know how well it would work in something fast paced like UT-04 though.

[ May 16, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: TailFlamer ]
ScottOmatic

Post by ScottOmatic »

Yeah, I really hope it gets native support, as right now in the demo in mouse emulation mode its really jerky, and I use win98 so I cant use that tir2joy program. This sim is gonna be the biggest racings sim to hit in a long time because the physics and gfx and multiplay are all going to be really really good, alot of ground breaking stuff is in here, its going to be the most realistic racing sim to date.. So if you guys want to start selling some TrackIRs to the sim racing crowd and not just the flight sim guys who play racing games too, this is the game to get it implemented in.
TailFlamer

Post by TailFlamer »

Hi Scott

You can use the tir2joy in Win98, but it installs differently than under XP.

Check this thread. It is long but there is a link in there somewhere for setting it up under Win98. I used it for a month with WinME in F1C before I got XP in December. It worked just as well with ME as it now does with XP, but installing was quicker and simplier with XP.

If you have any trouble setting it up, post your problem there and someone that is using it with 98 will be glad to help you. I don't remember all the steps, but it wasn't really all that hard to install, and it did work just fine. I think it was the "PPJoy Virtual joystick" that needs certain steps to install correctly under Win98, not the tir2joy. You must use both, first install the PPJoy driver, then the tir2joy.

Here is a post I put up after I finally got to use it in F1C. As you will see I was very happy to have it working after longing for it for sooooo long. I posted some setup tips on down a bit. There is a couple other threads on it too at that site. I kinda got to be known as the TIR man when it comes to F1C, so there have been a few people come to me for help with it. Seems it was suggested that some guys ask me about it. I think everyone was able to get theirs working very well, Of course I was glad to help, I was please to see others experiencing the coolness of it. It's hard to believe everyone isn't using this thing

Hope this helps and good luck

Oh yeah, at RSC I am The Ferrari Driver. At F1Gamers and most other race sim sites I am BackMarker. TailFlamer is my IL-2 nick, and I used it here when I signed up, since I bought TIR for IL-2 in the first place.

[ May 16, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: TailFlamer ]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

TailFlamer,

Thanks for all your info, I have found it very useful as I am sure many other users will.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I tried GTR at E3 and fixed the "jerky" problem. Just turn your Mouse Override Delay, on the front page of our software, down to 0 and it will be very smooth.
TailFlamer

Post by TailFlamer »

Thanks Jim, I will give that a try
Tocca

Post by Tocca »

From Simbins newsletter:
Vara, Sweden, May 25, 2004 - SimBin Development Team AB today announced their upcoming racing simulation title, GTR, will include complete support for NaturalPoint's TrackIR Enhanced� mode.