Suddenly TrackIR not detecting device anymore and hangs

jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Suddenly TrackIR not detecting device anymore and hangs

Post by jillian.smythe »

For all those that are having this problem where the running the TrackIR software is preventing their computer from shutting down, have there been any recent hardware or software updates, including Windows updates, that happened around the time the problem started?

It would be helpful if we could get a copy of your System Information to see if we can identify what may be happening and whether it is related to a specific hardware or software version. Please go to the Start Menu and type "System Information." In the application that comes up, click File > Export, and then share with us the resulting file either in a private message to me, or by starting a case with us at https://www.trackir.com/help (when we reply to you, you will be able to email us the System Information log file).

Since there haven't been any recent updates to the TrackIR software, it is likely that the problem is stemming from a recent update of some other software or hardware. We would like to see if we can identify the source of the issue.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
Beldalin

Post by Beldalin »

Michi that's exactly what I was trying to describe as my workaround up to now. Plugging cam in after starting the software without a connected trackIR and removing it before closing the software. But that's not what I want to do everytime I want to use it ;) but that shows at least that the hardware is working!

Couldn't try it on another system yet sadly.

By the way I tried to undo some windows updates that I suspected to be the possible reason for the sudden change in behaviour of my device, but had no success.
Windows restoration point is a good idea, but I reinstalled this thing too often so I couldn't find a valid resotration point prior to my problems :lol:
Last edited by Beldalin on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Beladin,

Have there been any new errors in Windows Event Viewer? It may be worth reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013, including the x86 version as well as the x64 version. I've seen this resolve some types of errors previously, but I am not certain if it will help with the problem you are currently having. The files can be downloaded here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Beldalin

Post by Beldalin »

Hi, it's working again.

I tried to start the software with the device already connected, hardware got detected correctly and was useable. Then I closed the software without disconnecting the hardware first and it worked too. Everything looks fine (at least for now - tried it only once).

What did I do in the meantime?
- had a few runs with connecting/disconnecting the hardware only when the software was running
- in the meantime I have the latest nvidia drivers 531.41 installed
- and I installed your 2013 VC++Redist packages that you told me

That's it. I even have the hardware connected via an USB hub :o but it's still working.
Seems everything a little odd to me because I'm not sure what exactly got it running again (and for how long, we have to wait and see).

Thanks for your continuing support Jillian!
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Beldalin,

I'm very glad to hear it is working again! I do wonder if the problem started with an update from NVIDIA or Windows, and it may have been resolved by a second update. Please let me know if the problem returns.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
_Michi_

Post by _Michi_ »

Still the absolute same problem for me.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello _Michi_,

Since nothing in the TrackIR software has changed, the source of the problem is likely a graphics card update, a Windows update, or the update of some other hardware that interacts with TrackIR. Do you have a previous restore point you can try to revert to? Have you made sure other drivers and software are up-to-date? Have you tried reinstalling the Visual C++ 2013 redistributables, including the x86 version?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Axelon

Post by Axelon »

The instructions shown by jillian.smythe resolved this issue for me!
Thanks.
_Michi_

Post by _Michi_ »

Nothing changed. 
I tried everything mentioned and still the absolute same problem. 
Do you guys have a clue what's wrong now?
It starts to really bother me that I paid a lot of money for a device which in its current state can most likely kill my whole computer.
Do you have any new insights by now? 

Greetings
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello _Michi_,

I do not believe the issue is actually caused by anything specific to the TrackIR hardware or software, as neither have changed in several years. Please check Windows Event Viewer and let me know if there are any errors related to TrackIR. Have you been able to test with different computer? Have you tried doing a Windows repair?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe