TrackIR 5 Blinking -post shutdown

llm007

TrackIR 5 Blinking -post shutdown

Post by llm007 »

Could not easily find anything in the FAQ's.
But, in my case, the TrackIR 5 device has both lights flashing in a strobe effect after the PC has been shut down. I can not believe this is normal, any thoughts?
Thanks
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: TrackIR 5 Blinking -post shutdown

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello llm007,

I have not heard of anyone having this issue before. Would you please check whether the problem persists if you connect the TrackIR to a different USB ports? If possible, please try connecting to one that does not stay powered after the computer is shutdown (USB charging ports will stay powered after shut down, and they will often be yellow).

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
llm007

Post by llm007 »

Thank you for your feedback, very helpful and something I had not considered.
I have three different USB configurations on the backplane and they include USB 3.2 Gen 2, USB 3.2 Gen 1, and USB 2.0/1.1. And on the Front Panel USB 3.2 Gen 1. In each case, after trying different ports, the flashing continued after the PC shutdown. I can see now that probably power is present on all of my USB ports, be they on the backplane or Front Panel. Strange that I never saw this before now. I examined the Motherboard Layout closely and found nothing that could help. The only change I have made recently was the replacement of the Power Supply within the last month.
Thanks again. I guess flashing all night it is.......!
llm007

Post by llm007 »

JIllian;
Just read that the USB power status in some PC's can be controlled/switched by the BIOS. I will be looking into that but, if adjustable, probably will not change it. Also, in my case, I did see a Driver update to the USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) on July 6, 2023, I believe that is a red-herring.
The more I read, there is a real reason for the 'Power Supply +5VSB standby rail' power being hot even in a system shut down(cold when the power cable removed). Typically, it is more common in Laptops but, I suspect, more PC motherboards are following this trend. For some things, I like the fact the USB port is hot(for charging).
In any case, I now see how and why the TrackIR device is flashing all night, surprised more people have not noticed this....hmmmm. I am good now and ask if you can kindly close this POST as a good lesson learned. Thanks
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello llm007,

I appreciate your research and follow-up. This post will remain up so that others can learn from it as well, if they find that they notice the same issue.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
clearlysurfing

Post by clearlysurfing »

I've had the same error since I upgraded to Windows 10 and can't fix it
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello clearlysurfing,

I want to be sure I understand the problem you are experiencing. Is it the same as what llm007 was seeing, where the TrackIR was blinking after the computer was shut down? If so, please try connecting to a different USB port. You may need to make a change in your BIOS to keep the USB ports from actively providing power when the computer is sleeping or powered off. This will vary depending on what BIOS you are using.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe