Another instance of TrackIR is already running

elmond

Another instance of TrackIR is already running

Post by elmond »

Since a couple of weeks ago my TrackIR says "Another instance of TrackIR software is already running" right on boot of the system. There is no running process with trackir. There is nothing minimized to tray (see screenshot) and the only solution is to uninstall/ reinstall the TrackIR software. This will work for another couple of reboots then.
Is there any lock file I can delete? I found nothing in appdata. I have had TIR for years and now it starts acting up :D
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Another instance of TrackIR is already running

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello elmond,

Please try going to the TrackIR settings and unchecking the "Run on System Startup", then reboot your computer to see if the error message shows up again. If it doesn't, then try launching the TrackIR software as an administrator to see if it runs.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
elmond

Post by elmond »

I cannot get into any settings. If I want to start the program manually in order to get to the run on startup option I am told that "Another instance of TrackIR software is already running" even after a reboot. Admin mode does nothing.

I can uninstall/ reinstall again and then uncheck the run on startup mode. But then the problem has not been solved
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello elmond,

It sounds like the system is trying to open two instances of TrackIR, and the second one is blocked, resulting in the error message "Another instance of TrackIR software is already running".

In lieu of completely uninstalling the TrackIR software, try going to C:\Users\[your_username]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5, opening Settings.xml, and changing the RunAtStartup and RunMinimized settings to 0 (to turn them off). Then reboot to see if TrackIR still starts up automatically and whether you are still getting the "Another instance..." error message.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative