SmartNAV 4 losing tracking

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: SmartNAV 4 losing tracking

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello nathyboy29,

Is this a laptop, or desktop system?

When this occurs, are you seeing anything on the Tracking screen?

Are you plugging in directly to the system, or are you using a hub?

Have you tried turn off any kind of power save feature for your USB ports?

In the "Device Manager" you can right click the "USB Root Hub"(s), that show, and then select properties. On the power management tab, uncheck the box that allows the computer to turn off the USB port to save power (i.e. uncheck the box). Sometimes that has an impact on the connectivity of the devices.

How frequently is this occurring, and is there a pattern to when it happens? Are you able to test the device on a different computer?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
grackul

Post by grackul »

I have encountered this issue after switching between laptops, one being with windows 10 home and new one with windows 10 pro.
it takes around 30 minutes before SmartNav starts tracking after booting up a pc and then it sometimes losses tracking in middle of the day for no apparent reason, green LED is flashing on/off and yellow dot in tracking tab is jumping up and and down on that screen.

I tried reinstalling windows which didn't help.
reinstalled SmartNav and its usb drivers few time without success in solving the issue.
I've bought new usb cable which didn't help.
USB is set to be powered and its set to not be turned off for power saving
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello grackul,

Is the green LED flashing on and off in a pattern, or is it more random? It may indicate that there is interference from another light source. To check this, try the following:

1. Go into the Smart-NAV Settings screen / Tracking tab. You should see a green dot in the Data Window. If you see more than one object in this window, or the focus on the green dot jumps from one dot to another, check for mislaid dots in the Smart-NAV's 30 degree field of view. If there are no other dots in the field of view and the problem persists, check for highly reflective items or direct light sources in the background. Move these objects, move the camera a bit, adjust the light filtering on the Tracking tab or reposition your computer.

2. Go to the Movement tab and adjust the speed sliders toward the left/slower side and adjust the smoothing slider to the right to increase the smoothing.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
grackul

Post by grackul »

looks like it was hardware issue, I found out one of my old SmartNav devices to be working just fine without an issue.

I suspect issue with broken one was that it was losing connection thus when I looked at tracking tab screen there was jumping up and down like on VHS or old camera footage.

I found repair guide on ifixit site which looks like it addressees my problem, hopefully it can save my broken units which I have two now.