360-degree navigation

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
tommy1234

360-degree navigation

Post by tommy1234 »

I want to be able to control my mouse, hand-free over 4 monitors around me. Is it possible to use multiple dots around my head to take the cursor through all the screens?

Or is it possible to use multiple Trackir or smartnav3 to do this? Maybe the tracir/smartnav3 activates in the direction you face and the other deactivate?
kevin

Re: 360-degree navigation

Post by kevin »

Hello Tommy,

It is not currently possible to use multiple dots around your head to take the cursor through all the screens. Using multiple units may be a possibility in the future, though I have no firm date on when/if that may happen.

We have had users with as many as 3 monitors use a SmartNAV successfully. The key is making sure the angle of view encompasses all the monitors so the unit does not lose line of sight with the dot or TrackHAT (which would be ideal in this case). The SmartNAV can work up to 6 feet away so if you position the unit properly it should be possible though I can not say for sure.

We do have a 30 day money back guarantee so you could always try it out and if you are not satisfied return the unit.

Cheers,
Kevin
yerodin

Post by yerodin »

Hi Tommy,

while Naturalpoint doesn't support it, as kevin judt told you, I actually had a setup with three dots on my trackhat working like a charm on my old SmartNav 1. I used the main dot of the Trackhat and just added one on each side of the brim. That worked beautifully with a two monitor setup. However I haven't tried it with SmartNav 3 yet so your mileage may vary...

Greetings,

Sven
kevin

Post by kevin »

I talked to the developers about this and as yerodin pointed out using multiple dots was actually a unsupported feature available in version 2 software, though is not yet available in version 3 software.

We are currently evaluating this feature though do not have a specific timeline for it's implementation in the version 3 software. I wll be pushing for it though as I think it will be a useful feature.

-Kevin

[ February 25, 2005, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Kevin ]
tommy1234

Post by tommy1234 »

When I say multiple dots, I mean one in the back of my head, so that when I turn to the monitor behind me, the cursor would move with me.