Mapping f9 and f12 to HOTAS

Cas141b

Mapping f9 and f12 to HOTAS

Post by Cas141b »

Hello
I have just changed my HOTAS joystick. I am running FSX in windows XP and I am able to map the buttons to my X45 HOTAS. Except.. the buttons F9 and F12, when mapped to toggle view and centre, do not work.
I am using the windows drivers for the HOTAS, NOT the Saitek drivers for the X45. ( not available)
The profile uses those hotkeys but the HOTAS buttons when mapped do not get Trackir to react.
I changed the hotkeys and mapped those but it made no difference.
I had the same issue many years ago with my Cougar HOTAS but managed to get it to work, but I’ve forgotten how.!,
Any button in FSX can be mapped to the HOTAS and work. - except whatever Hotkeys of Trackir that I use.
Can anyone assist please?
Thank you
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Mapping f9 and f12 to HOTAS

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Cas141b,

What version of TrackIR software are you running? Are you able to change the hotkeys in the TrackIR software to a different button? This can help determine if there is a conflict with a different hotkey. I would also make sure that the TrackIR is connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard, and that the HOTAS is running on a different internal USB hub.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
Cas141b

Post by Cas141b »

Hello Jillian
I am using Trackir 4 software drivers. My Trackir unit is many years old but works well in every regard except this problem.
I can edit the profile hotkeys and change the two “pause” and “centre” functions by allocating a key. Usually f9 and f12, ,but I have tried f5 and f6.
Thought……should I try a non f button?
I have also changed the buttons via the FSX sim controls.
AND.
I have unchecked the “trap” function in the Hotkeys profile, and tried it like that.

What I have noticed, when making changes, is that there is no “Save” button to press, so I assume what is changed is accepted and implemented without doing that. As you know, other software does normally ask for changes to be saved………Or have I missed something?

One other thing. I am using a bespoke profile, not the FSX one which I imagine is one of the ones offered by the Trackir software.l

I appreciate your prompt reply - thank you- and I’m hoping your expertise can help

Cheers

Cas

Edit……Cracked it!!! I’ve managed to get it working.

What I have done is this.
The keys I used for pause and centre, in my case f9 and f12, I removed from the FSX controls.
Then I went into the Trackir Profiles and edit the Hotkeys.
On the “change” button for Pause I press it and then click the button on my joystick .
Same for the Change button for centre, ie, another joystick button.
That’s it.
Those buttons on the joystick now activate the Trackir functions.

Unlike the other buttons on my joystick, these buttons have nothing to do with FSX,!

Thanks to everyone for your advices. Finally got through to me😂
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Cas141b,

Excellent! Thank you for providing the update with your solution. Please let us know if you need any other assistance.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative