TrackIR 5 stopped working after 3 years

ATSTrucker

TrackIR 5 stopped working after 3 years

Post by ATSTrucker »

Hi, I have a problem with my Natural Point Track IR 5. It was working perfectly, but this year after 3 years, first the sensor went crazy and now it can't be started (the computer won't recognize the device after connecting it).

The problem appeared suddenly. The sensor was very warm both at the back and at the front. After disconnecting from the computer, it was no longer possible to connect it when it is not recognized. I tried going through all the advice, reinstalling the drivers and much more, but nothing helped (win10).

Now when I connect the TrackIR5 sensor to any USB it starts to heat up and mostly on the back side at the top even without starting. I disassembled the unit and discovered that the entire motherboard was hot.

I don't know if I should buy another one or say goodbye to the head tracking. I found a lot of reports about the heating problem. I also found information that the unit should have been redesigned in the past, improved heat dissipation, etc.

My unit was purchased 2/2021 from a distributor. This is a unit that has status diodes covered in milky plastic and the back is black with the number 5 and not transparent . The number on the cable near the USB end is 434124. Motherboard inside says Natural point, Inc. TrackIR5.5 Feb 11. 2020 Rev.D
It can be seen on the Internet that many years ago there was a unit on the market with a transparent back where a kind of chip can be seen (it talks about improved heat dissipation) and more transparent covers of status diodes. Mine has short front legs which make it harder to hold onto the monitor (clear back units have longer legs).
Currently in the store where I would like to buy again is the pictured unit transparent back with visible chip, long front legs.
Q: Which unit is newer and upgraded?
I would not like to buy a unit where the problems have not been solved

As for the price without the discount... 304 USD for the unit alone is not small and therefore one thinks more.

Thanks for the advice and information. I can't imagine computer simulations without Track IR. I would just like the device to last me more than 3 years.
ATSTrucker

Re: TrackIR 5 stopped working after 3 years

Post by ATSTrucker »

"The device was stopped because it reported a problem. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

TrackIR software version 5.4.2.27545

I guess I'll have to buy a new one, but....

It looks like the internet is ablaze with cheap variants Natural Point's Track IR. But I don't want a cheap copy!
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256804220 ... tTherefore, I need to know the current appearance of the units supplied by Natural Point, because here is a picture showing the back part transparent, which as I already wrote, my unit purchased in 2021 did not have, even though it had naturalpoint signs and also inside.

Isn't the TrackIR trademark protected? Please do something about it because it is confusing for customers :(
ATSTrucker

Post by ATSTrucker »

MrK2 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:23 am Mine stopped working all of a sudden too. Tried on a different pc and it doesnt work there either. Inconclusive if its a windows update or just burn out. Expensive choice to buy another and find it isnt the device.

What to do.......
Yes.
In my case, also win 10, and the last time TrackIR was functional was in XPlanes 11. After turning off XPlanes11, only the right control status diode was red. Unplugging the TrackIR from the USB and it didn't start again.

"The device was stopped because it reported a problem. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

TrackIR software version 5.4.2.27545
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello ATSTrucker,

I appreciate your reaching out about these concerns. Our small team does its best to address counterfeiters, but to ensure you purchase an authentic unit, we strongly recommend purchasing from our website directly or through one of our authorized resellers. We have a list of dealers around the world on our website: https://www.trackir.com/dealers. Our 1 year warranty only applies when the TrackIR is purchased from an authorized dealer. If you are an existing TrackIR user, you may wish to reach out to our sales team (you can contact them through the help link (https://www.trackir.com/help) by selecting "sales or order inquiries" before deciding who to purchase from. Please note that if you currently have a working TrackClip Pro, you don't need to purchase the bundle. The current MSRP for the TrackIR is $149.95, plus shipping.

When your TrackIR failed, was it connected directly to the computer's motherboard or was it connected through a USB hub or docking station? We strongly recommend only connecting the unit directly to your computer, as noted in the user manual (https://d1rhoi6onixddn.cloudfront.net/d ... Manual.pdf).

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
ATSTrucker

Post by ATSTrucker »

Hi Jillian,
You're right. All the time (3 years), I connected the unit from the top and not from the back for better disconnection when not in use. It worked the whole time with no problems and the manual says:
"5. Plug the TrackIR into a USB port on your computer. For best results, directly connect the TrackIR into a
USB port on your computer. We do not recommend using a USB hub of any kind."

There is no information that it would be dangerous for the device. So I assumed it wouldn't be a problem.

As for the prices. If you say that your price is $145, that is 3335CZK. That's a very good price and it's the price of a cheap copy (here for the "Unbranded" product 2349CZK which is $102. Why do some people buy cheap copies (not me)? Compare. Here at your distributor for our area the price is 5490CZK ($238) and that's a -27 percent discount from 7490CZK ($325) that's just the TackIR5 + clip. Other Store and same packege 7131CZK ($310). TrackIR5 + TrackClip Pro is 7089CZK ($308) at the distributor and it's a -21 percent discount from 8990CZK ($390).
Unfortunately, I do not have the possibility to buy directly from you and there is no other way than to accept the prices here. So I hope that if I buy a new one it will work and there will be no problem to use it again. Of course I have TrackClip Pro and it works so I don't need to buy it, but I used it little.

Also for interest... 3 years ago I bought TrackIR5+TrackClip Pro for 6793CZK ($295)

Friendly greetings to Oregon!
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello ATSTrucker,

Please note that the price of $145 USD is only for the unit, and it does not include import taxes (VAT) and duties or shipping which varies by country. For Czech Republic, the VAT rate is 21%. When you buy from one of the distributors in your region, the price includes the cost of the unit, the shipping to get the unit to your country, and any import taxes or duties that must be paid, as well as a mark up so that the business can make money from the sale. Hopefully that helps explain why the prices are higher than for a unit sold in the US. Our units come with a 1 year warranty against hardware defects.

If you have any issues with setting up the replacement, please let us know and we would be happy to help.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
ATSTrucker

Post by ATSTrucker »

Hi Jillian, my problem is solved. I got a new device from you :-)
Just run the TrackIR v5 software and connect ;-). It works flawlessly. I haven't tried it in a simulation title yet, but I don't think there will be any change from what I'm used to.
I just have one comment about the attached user manual (connection).

2. Plug in camera
"Connect the device's cord to your computer's USB port."

This information does not say anything at all about which USB in the computer the device should be connected to and whether it is recommended to connect from the back to the motherboard or if it is possible to connect to some more accessible USB, for example on the top or front of the computer.

"Technical notes
If using a USB hub with the device, make sure that it is externally powered (plugs into the wall). For best results, do not use a USB hub.."

I have never used any USB hubs and have always connected directly to the USB on the computer case.

But what, it doesn't matter now. I will be connecting directly to the motherboard.

Now I can say with certainty that the problem was not in Windows, in the device's control software or in some conflict in the computer, but simply something happened inside the camera.

To my previous message: Yes, I understand the import and other fees and therefore the difference in price. I just wanted to say that a standalone unit just isn't worth $145 in our area.
As a simulation fan and avid TrackIR user, I would welcome a promotional sticker as a way to show my love for Track IR. Or if it was possible to buy from a dealer.

Greetings to Natural Point and many more satisfied users.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello ATSTrucker,

I appreciate your feedback. We do not currently have any promotional stickers, but I have passed along that suggestion to our sales and marketing team.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe