TRACK IR overheating and stopped working

jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: TRACK IR overheating and stopped working

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello victoriaemmy,

Do you have the TrackIR unit connected directly to your motherboard or to a USB hub? I recommend connecting to the motherboard directly, if possible. If the problem persists, please contact us at https://www.trackir.com/help, and please be sure to include the serial number of your unit.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
Co.

Post by Co. »

Yep, I got my trackIR today, after 20 minutes, it stops working fully and isn't detected by my computer. I am extremely frustrated in this product.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Co.,

I would like to assist you further with your TrackIR unit. Would you please fill out the contact form on our website (https://www.trackir.com/help)? Please make sure to include the six-digit serial number of your unit.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
SniperPod

Post by SniperPod »

It happened to me too, while I was using it suddenly for no reason it stopped working. I have not updated the PC or changed the location of my workstation.
Suddenly the device acts as if it has lost the trackclip pro signal and is not detecting it. If he decides to repeat it, he does it alone and behaves as if he were crazy, appearing red spots in the trackclip's three green led panel. Yet I don't have any IR sources of interference nearby.
I am convinced that it is a software problem with some windows update. If you read the forum there are several cases of people complaining more or less the same problem.
Duke

Post by Duke »

I don't know if this will work for any of you, thought I'd share as my issue was terminal.

I experienced similar issues out of the blue after using Track IR for years. All kinds of tracking issues, view snapping everywhere even when using at night when the only source of tracking could only be my Track Clip.

My unit also got very hot, nothing really making sense.

In my case I had to buy another camera as I'm sure mine burned out. For years it was set to start with Windows and was always on although, I thought, idling.

As it turns out, I face due south and have Tropical Plants in my apartment. For this reason I leave my blinds open all day and if my PC is on, which it typically is, the Track IR cameral is picking up the brightness from the walls in my living room.

This meant my camera was possibly active up to 10 hours daily for years.

Natural Point was gracious enough to provide me a discount on a new unit and since I've never let the software run unless I'm using it ingame.
syde

Post by syde »

jillian.smythe wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:35 am Hello autoskip,

If you believe your TrackIR has overheated, please unplug it and let it cool down completely (possibly overnight). When it is cool, reconnect the TrackIR directly to your computer, bypassing any USB hubs. If possible, connect it to a USB 2.0 port. Check in Device Manager to see if the TrackIR is being detected by your computer.

We offer a 1 year warranty on our TrackIR units. If you have purchased your unit within the last year, please contact us using the Help form on our website: https://www.trackir.com/help. Make sure to include the serial number of your unit in your message to us.

Kind Regards,
Oh noes..you say "camera should be put directly to usb 2.0"...you need to upgrade your product and fast, since MY PC do NOT have any usb 2.0 ports anymore..all are 3.0 or more...BUT I use extension cord which is usb 2.0...that might cut excessive power...would that be enough?
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello syde,

We understand that not everyone has a computer with a USB 2.0 port any more, but if one is available, it is worth using that port since the TrackIR is a USB 2.0 device (there is no benefit from plugging it into a USB 3.0 port if a 2.0 port is an option). How long is the extension cable you are using? If you are having trouble with your TrackIR, I would try bypassing the cable and connecting directly to the computer to see if that allows your device to function.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Humanizer

Post by Humanizer »

here we got the problem too:

26°c in the room track ir overheating and IR leds cease functionning , in less than 2 minute

i brought this device 3years ago for more than 200€ ...... seriously???

:twisted:
Wolfang42

Post by Wolfang42 »

Mine just died today...same thing, seems overheated and just fails. The ProClip also seems to be getting no power whether coupled together or via separate USB ports, into USB hub or into the Mobo itself. Disappointing.
u843867

Post by u843867 »

My Track IR unit overheated and died after about 20 uses. It cost me $9 per use! The overheating is quite severe and potentially unsafe.