Too much roll when yawing

badgerino

Too much roll when yawing

Post by badgerino »

Hello there

I am using TrackIR with the Pro Clip since a while with DCS World. I decided to have another look at my profile and started investigating a bit what others are using.
What I realized is that my main issue sems to be that when I turn my head left and right (so I would say one of the most common and important movements), TrackIR thinks that my head rotates as well, even though that is not the case.
I tried quite a lot of things (camera placement, which is basically on top of the screen in front of the sensor or turning the sensors a bit differently), and nothing seems to help.

Even though I give my best to turn my head in a very straight way just looking from the center of the screen to the right center of the screen, my head rotates and also pitches quite a bit.

I am nearly giving up on this as I have no clue what else I can do as it clearly seems to be some form of misinterpretation of the LEDs.

I also verified that there are no light sources, mirrors or windows anywhere in the view of the sensor.

Does anyone have an idea how I can solve this issue?
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Too much roll when yawing

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello badgerino,

Have you reviewed the TrackClip Pro Quick Start guide: https://d1rhoi6onixddn.cloudfront.net/d ... _23.06.pdf? Please note the ideal orientation of the TrackClip Pro. The smaller "leg" should be at the top, the longer "leg" at the bottom, and the LEDs should be in a line vertically on the left side of your headset. Make sure that the software is set up so that Camera Rotation (on the Camera tab) is set to 0. If you are still having trouble, please contact us through our contact form (https://www.trackir.com/help) and we can start a case to assist you further.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
dandelionwest

Re: Too much roll when yawing

Post by dandelionwest »

To a modest extent, and only while rotating about the yaw axis itself, an airplane's outside wing can move faster than the inside wing and generate slightly greater lift. Dihedral, the tiny angle at which the wings are joined, makes a shallow V when viewed from behind, and this is what has the most noticeable effect. The plane slides to one side as a result of yaw, and the roll is caused by the relative wind hitting the bottom of the leading wing and the top of the trailing wing. This serves just that purpose.