TrackIR Heavy stuttering in software

Badileus

TrackIR Heavy stuttering in software

Post by Badileus »

Hi there,

I have used TrackIR 5 for years without problems, but recently the tracking movement stutters very badly. And right away after starting the software (before launching a game). The camera is not disturbed by other lightsources. Sometimes (very rarely) it works, but only once. What i tried:

-restarting software / PC
-reinstalling newest software and USB drivers
-changing USB-ports (3.0 and 2.0)
-installing newest Nvidia-driver (it worked right after that, but only several times, may be coincidence)
-connecting cables seem to be ok

My system: Windows 10 Home (22H2), Geforce RTX 2060 SUPER, Nvidia driver 537.13
My monitor is set to 60 Hz.

On my old computer the same TrackIR still runs smooth and without problems (Windows 7), so it seems not to be a technical defect. By the way, is there an expected lifespan for this device?

I am grateful for any ideas, because i just can´t fly in MSFS (and other sims) without TrackIR anymore. Thank You!
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: TrackIR Heavy stuttering in software

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Badileus,

I would start by checking the settings in the TrackIR software. For example, what settings are you using for Motion Control? Is the TrackIR connected directly to your computer, not through a USB hub? If you change the view to Camera View in the TrackIR software, do you see three green dots throughout the normal range of motion, or do any of them turn red?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
Badileus

Post by Badileus »

Thanks for answering,

like i said, i use TrackIR 5 for many years now, always with the same settings. Of course i tried to change them, when the problems started, but the problem is somewhere else. I still have this problem - sometimes it works for a while, and then it doesn´t. If i only wouldt know if there is some technical defect after all, i wouldt buy a new one, but if the problem is elsewhere....The device isn´t that cheap just to try it.

Here is a video right after starting the software:

https://imgur.com/a/d1barb8

Thanks for help!
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi Badileus,

If you bring up Task Manager, what are you seeing in terms of CPU and Memory usage? Are you running any other software that may be using up resources? Have you tried running the TrackIR software as an administrator or changing the priority of the process to High? What happens if you connect the TrackIR to a different USB port on your motherboard or to a different computer? This will help confirm whether the issue is with the TrackIR hardware.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Clutchy

Post by Clutchy »

Hi There,

I'm having the exact same problem as Badileus. I have been using my TrackIR for years without issue and just today, it started running at 4-5 FPS in the software.

It is not being caused by resource limitations. CPU, memory, power - all look normal and there are lots of resources available for TrackIR.

Solutions tried:
- uninstall and reinstall TrackIR software with restarts in between. I tried all versions of the TrackIR software (5.3.0 - 5.4.2)
- tried plugging in to several different USB ports
- changing monitor refresh rates to 60
- checking all settings in TrackIR (all good)

My system: Windows 10, Geforce RTX 3080, driver 546.65

Again, this frame crash happened out of the blue with no hardware or software changes since it worked last.

Thank you.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi Clutchy,

The only recent change with TrackIR is a new games list that came out a few days ago, but I haven't seen or heard of that that causing any issues.

It sounds like some sort of software or hardware conflict. Is your TrackIR connected directly to a USB port on the motherboard? Have you tried removing all other peripherals, except for the TrackIR, a keyboard and a mouse? Have you checked to see whether Windows or any of your other software updated recently? We have occasionally seen strange behavior with other programs and how they interact with TrackIR (for example, Citrix). With Citrix, the issue was the Indirect Display Adapter that it installed. I would also see if you have any other software that may be trying to access a camera on your computer.

To rule out a hardware issue, can you test the TrackIR on a different device?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Clutchy

Post by Clutchy »

Hi Jillian,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I've tried all of your suggestions but still getting 5fps (USB on motherboard, removed peripherals, no Windows updates recently, no Citrix or camera). I've also reviewed Windows Event Viewer logs and nothing weird there.

I'm out of ideas. Is there some kind of factory reset I can do?

Thank you.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi Clutchy,

You can try reinstalling the TrackIR software:

If you have any custom saved profiles, you will want to copy them to a temp folder before proceeding. Profiles are stored in the App Data folder which is hidden by default.

Follow this path using your user name. C:\Users\[Your.User.Name]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles
To show hidden Items Click on the view tab in your window Explorer and select Hidden Items

Then, please try doing a Full uninstall and reinstall of the software and see if that helps, especially steps 3 and 5. You can follow these steps below:

1. Unplug the TrackIR from your computer.
2. Remove TrackIR from add/remove programs.
3. Remove NaturalPoint Drivers from add/remove programs.
4. Delete NaturalPoint folder from Program Files x86.
5. Delete NaturalPoint folder from %APPDATA% location. (AppData is a hidden folder)
-C:\Users\[Your.User.Name]\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint.
6. Reboot PC.
7. Download the latest installer from our website.
-The latest download will also have our latest USB Drivers.
8. Right-click and install as an administrator.
9. Locate the Track IR 5 Icon on your desktop, Right-click on it and select 'Run as Administrator'. (This only needs to be done the first time.)

Please let me know if this works for you, or if you have any questions on how to complete this.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
Clutchy

Post by Clutchy »

Hi Jillian,

Thank you for the detailed instructions. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I'm still getting 5 fps with the new drivers and software.

Thank you.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi Clutchy,

I reached out to our engineers, and they suggested that this could be happening due to a conflict between TrackIR and another hardware device driver. They suggested checking for Windows updates, driver updates, and to consider doing a Windows reset or upgrade to Windows 11.

I would also recommend running System File Checker (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 6e85d4094e) to make sure there are no corrupted files that could be causing the conflict. If you have a Windows Restore Point, you may want to try restoring the system to a few days before the problem began.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe