When do we get updated drivers for TrackIR 5 ?

Miguel.I.Fonseca

When do we get updated drivers for TrackIR 5 ?

Post by Miguel.I.Fonseca »

Hi,
Since a couple of months ago I have been unable to use my TrackIR 5 because Windows 10 Pro 22H2 complains about not being able to verify the digital signature for the device driver. In Device Manager, right clicking on TrackIR 5 and selecting properties I get this on the General tab.
"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)".
This problem is very irritating since the TrackIR application will load and stay minimized in the taskbar's notification area as usual, however no TrackIR function works neither inside the app nor in any TrackIR enhanced games. The TrackIR app reports that no TrackIR device is detected, but if one goes to the Device Manager, the device appears there, but Windows won't let the driver execute because of the outdated/deprecated signature.

I know for sure I'm running the latest available driver (NaturalPoint version 2.70.0.0 dated Sep-01-2012 for the npusbio_x64.sys driver that exhibits the symptom), it was installed by the 5.4.2 package downloadable from TrackIR.com.

A new, properly updated and signed driver will be VERY WELCOME by us all, your loyal user base, I'm sure. Thanks in advance for getting us a new package,

Miguel
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: When do we get updated drivers for TrackIR 5 ?

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Miguel.I.Fonseca,

I am also running Windows 10 22H2, but I am not seeing any issues with the driver being unsigned on my system. Please check the following:
  • Go to Device manager
  • Locate TrackIR5 under NaturalPoint Devices and double click on it to open the properties
  • Go to the Driver tab and view Driver Details
  • Is NaturalPoint, Inc. listed as the digital signer?
Did this issue just start recently? In scanning our forums, I see that when this issue happened in the past, it was the result of a Windows 7 update that Microsoft ended up pulling because it was causing driver issues (see https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=13013).
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
Miguel.I.Fonseca

Post by Miguel.I.Fonseca »

I didn't have the update you mention installed. The problem started beginning June 2023 (after installing May Windows Updates), just in case it has to do something with WU.
Since I couldn't uninstall the suggested update package, I tried to uninstall/reinstall TrackIR 5 but the uninstallation hung, so I used Wise Program Uninstallerd to force remove it. Then I reinstalled Track IR 5.4 and it warned me that VC++ runtime packages and the NaturalPoint USB IO x64 drivers were going to be installed. After installing the C++ runtime, it displayed the driver installation and the checkbox for always trusting software from NaturalPoint, Inc. was already checked in that dialog so I left it checked (I always prefer unchecking these to be prompted every time a driver is going to be installed) and the installation proceeded up to the point where the TrackIR 5 app was going to be installed, however it didn't behave like a new installation but offered me to uninstall or repair the installation. Then I chose to repair it and the installation succeeded, the driver loaded correctly in Device Manager and everything NaturalPoint works again on my PC. It seems WU somehow mangled this driver and the driver for my Corsair K40 keyboard too. Everything seems to be working correctly after rebooting too.

M
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Miguel.I.Fonseca,

It does sound like the Windows Update may have caused a conflict or error. I'm glad to hear that you were able to repair the TrackIR application after fully installing the update. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative