Jittering when head is held steady off-center :(

CommandT

Jittering when head is held steady off-center :(

Post by CommandT »

Hi guys,

Ever since I got my Trackir5 a few years ago, I've been having a problem which I cannot seem to solve no matter what I try. So I thought I'd try and ask here.

The problem: When head is moved off center to some angle (the bigger the angle the worse the issue), there is a jitter when I freeze my head in a certain position. Even if I hold my head still, the software is showing the position of the virtual head moving a tiny bit. It's super frustrating. It's like it's too sensitive and is just unable to hold still despite me holding my actual head still :(

Here's what I tried to do to resolve the issue:
1. Change the curves, deadzones etc
2. Change the Trackclip Pro to a different one
3. Change the Trackir itself to a different one
4. Flip the Trackclip Pro upside down and reverse the curves
5. Change the monitor - I changed a 60Hz 38" to a 144Hz 38" - no affect, same issue.
6. Changed IR Brightness (currently set to 10), changed Light Filter Threshold (currently set to 150)
7. Changed Video Processing Mode (currently set to "Precision")
8. Changed Precision Mode Smoothing (currently set to 0.0)
9. Changed the Smooth and Speed sliders. Currently smooth is 50 and speed is 0.3

My system:
Windows 10
HP Z38C 38" Widescreen monitor
AMD 3950X OC @ 4.3GHz
Nvidia RTX 3090
64GB RAM
2TB M.2 EVO 970 SSD

I would really appreciate any advice. I'm really out of ideas. When the head is within 30 degrees of center it's not really an issue, but beyond that every time I freeze my head trackir just can't hold steady. Is it because my screen is just too big/wide? Any other ideas?

Many Thanks!
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Jittering when head is held steady off-center :(

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello CommandT,

Have you confirmed that your TrackClip Pro is aligned with the TrackIR camera as described in the TrackClip Pro Guide: https://d1rhoi6onixddn.cloudfront.net/d ... _23.06.pdf? What happens if you increase the Speed slider to a value greater than 1 (e.g. 1.6)? Have you verified that there is no other light interference? You can do this by putting the TrackIR software in Camera View mode and looking for any red blotches or dots.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
CommandT

Post by CommandT »

Yes TrackClipPro is aligned as shown, except in my efforts to reduce the jitter I've turned it upside down and reversed the curves - it's pretty much exactly the same.

And I can confirm there is no light interference.

What I really need is for there to be a slight deadzone in any given head position, which I'm assuming is not possible? I understand you can have deadzones for the central/ neutral head position on any curve but you can't for any other given head position? The sensor is just too sensitive and obviously with bigger head displacements this is amplified.

I have tried to set the Speed slide to 1.6 - this obviously amplifies the head movements for the curves that I have set so I made a new profile with reduced curves to match the 1.6 speed - the net result is exactly the same as before. I can tune the curves to act similarly with similar rates of movement as when I have 0.3 set, however the jittering when keeping head still at large deflections off-centre is still present. The sensor is just too sensitive I think.
Last edited by CommandT on Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello CommandT,

What setting are you using for Smooth under Motion Control? Is the problem you are seeing similar to what is seen in this video when the smooth value is set to the lowest point?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdefLYQ9uYA&t=411s

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
n116dh

Post by n116dh »

Greetings. I would like to throw my hat in this ring.

While flight simming, say you move your head from the view's center (e.g. the PFD) to turn the heading knob; the knob will move around slightly as my my head naturally moves slightly; making keeping the cursor over there knob more difficult as the slight natural head movement with TrackIR is moving the knob slightly as well. In real life, focusing on the knob keeps it stationary in my field of vision. With TrackIR, I have to toggle tracking off, adjust the knob, and toggle tracking back on. It's too much to try too keep my head perfectly still. A bit much of an immersion disruption if I say so.

So... Pick an object on your screen. Focus on the object while at the same time moving your head around (even a lot). You should see that your eyes stay focused on the spot. If that could be emulated some how, that would be a game changer.

Thanks.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello n116dh,

We appreciate your explanation and suggestion. I have added this to the list of ideas for our development team to review.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
n116dh

Post by n116dh »

Excellent. Much obliged.