Single dot tracking

asterics

Single dot tracking

Post by asterics »

Hi,

is there any possibility to use the TrackIR 5 with just one relfective dot for 2d position tracking (maybe with an older Driver software / fimware) ?

thank you,
Chris
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Single dot tracking

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi Chris,

While our early versions of TrackIR allowed just one dot to be used, they were replaced with our current version that uses three reflectors (or LEDs if using the TrackClip Pro) almost 15 years ago. The current version allows for 6 degrees of freedom, but you can uncheck the boxes for the axes you don't wish to use.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
asterics

Post by asterics »

thank you for your answer!
you probably know that there are a lot of people who still love the SmartNav / 2D Mouse control using a non-intrusive single relflective marker placed on the forehead. If have read that people got that working with the TrackIR4 software (any maybe an older firmware for the TrackIR 5 ??)

so i wanted to ask if there is any way to get that working (or plan to make it work again) ?

best regards,
Chris
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello asterics,

I appreciate your feedback and your desire for a single dot tracking system. I will pass this request on to our developers. They are aware of the desire for a new version of the SmartNav, but it is helpful to know that some gamers also prefer having a 2D mouse control option.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
asterics

Post by asterics »

thank you very much Jillian,
this is really apprechiated!

It would be very helpful if the TrackIR SDK could report raw x/y coordinates of a single reflector dot - this would be sufficient for implementing absolute / relative mouse cursor control tools.

best regards,
Chris
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi asterics,

I just heard an update from the development team. They confirmed that the TrackIR SDK will not work for this, but we do have a Camera SDK that should work for your purposes. You can download it here: https://www.optitrack.com/support/downl ... tools.html.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe