Jittery performance in MSFS 2020 (only)

FatherAnolev

Jittery performance in MSFS 2020 (only)

Post by FatherAnolev »

Hey folks,

I'm experiencing noticeable jitter issues with my TrackIR when playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (latest update, I think SU #14 if memory serves).

MSFS is running at 60fps consistently, vsync is on / matched my monitor hertz. Panning around using the mouse is smooth as silk.

TrackIR works fine in other flight simulators, such as DCS and X-plane 12.

I've tried different USB ports just to ensure it wasn't a port issue (but given the fact that it works fine in other games, I doubted this to be the case).

If I alt-tab out of the simulator, I notice the same jitter occurring within the TrackIR app. But once I exit a flight, the jitter seems to return to normal levels. So normally I'd think this was an app performance isssue, but as noted above, I'm consistently running at 60fps, and mouse panning in the game works perfectly.

Any ideas of what I might try next?
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Jittery performance in MSFS 2020 (only)

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello FatherAnolev,

Is this a new issue for you when using MSFS2020? If so, what changes have happened with your system? For example, were there any updates to drivers or the operating system, or did you add any new peripherals? Is your TrackIR camera connected directly to the computer via a USB port on the motherboard? Is TrackIR set to run at High Priority? Do you have any background tasks that could be causing a conflict, such as antivirus software?

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative
FatherAnolev

Post by FatherAnolev »

Hi Jillian,

Well it is a new-ish computer, so almost everything has changed, including nVidia drivers (very recently - I've tried rolling back / forward). No new peripherals, and the only things running in the background are my typical tray icon services, e.g. Windows Defender, etc. TrackIR is plugged directly into the motherboard (no hub) and is set at High Priority (along with MSFS).

The thing is - everything works 100% fine in other sims, including DCS and X-plane. No issues whatsoever.

As far as I can tell, this appears to be an issue ONLY with MSFS 2020. It runs at a consistent 60fps (vsync'd with my monitor) at High (not Ultra) settings. CPU and GPU usage % are also well below 100%.

So I presume that this problem is within MSFS itself - I was just wondering / hoping that someone might have some tips related to that program specifically. I do NOT think this is a problem with my TrackIR unit itself.
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hi FatherAnolev,

One thing you might try is using a Profile that others have successfully used with MSFS2020. For example, there is the Seth - Flight profile (see this post: viewtopic.php?p=82448&hilit=seth+flight#p82448). Make sure that the Exclusive checkbox is unchecked in the Advanced Settings.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative