What is the minimum volume for OptiTrack?

digitizer

What is the minimum volume for OptiTrack?

Post by digitizer »

Excuse me if this information exists on the site, but I have searched and can't find it!

I have a space that is roughly 12 X 12 X 7(feet). Is this too small of a rectangle to allow the OptiTrack to be installed and used? What is the minimum space necessary for motion captures?

Thanks for the responses in advance (and thanks for producing such a remarkable product!).

digitizer
tvining

Re: What is the minimum volume for OptiTrack?

Post by tvining »

I've got (almost) the same exact question, Digitizer: my space is 11x13x7. Also, do the cameras have to be equidistant, or can they be set up in an oblong volume (say, 11x13)?

Thanks--Tim
digitizer

Post by digitizer »

This image

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/i ... setup6.jpg

shows the diameter of the capture area possible.
markdc

Post by markdc »

[quote=tvining]I've got (almost) the same exact question, Digitizer: my space is 11x13x7. Also, do the cameras have to be equidistant, or can they be set up in an oblong volume (say, 11x13)?

Thanks--Tim [/quote]

The room I�m working in is 14� X 12�. I have the cameras at 8' high.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

[quote=digitizer]Excuse me if this information exists on the site, but I have searched and can't find it!

I have a space that is roughly 12 X 12 X 7(feet). Is this too small of a rectangle to allow the OptiTrack to be installed and used? What is the minimum space necessary for motion captures?

Thanks for the responses in advance (and thanks for producing such a remarkable product!).

digitizer [/quote]

Your capture volume would be roughly half of that, so 6' * 6' - Which would give you enough room to do a T-pose....
tvining

Post by tvining »

Markdc: does that volume work out for you? Do you know (approximately) what your capture volume area is? The rule of thumb is officially that you get half the volume of your setup, but I did read somewhere on this forum where somebody said they had a 15x15 area that gave them about a 10 ft capture volume, so maybe it depends on the camera setup(?)

Thanks--Tim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

The general rule is 1/2 the camera space will be the capture volume, but you can increase that with more cameras. We have used 12 cameras in a 15' square to get about 10' of capture volume.

The real thing to be concerned about is the height of the cameras. 7' will not be very tall, we recommend 8', with the cameras looking down on the actor. 7' will probably work, but you won't be able to jump much, or have your hands high above your head.

The good thing is that the system is flexible and you can change your setup easily to experiement with different camera positions.

Yes, you can make an oblong capture volume. At a recent show we did 20' X 15'. We show a circle for 6 cameras because that is the best way to optimize 6 cameras. 8 cameras are better on 4 tripods, 2 at each corner.

Hope that helps.
markdc

Post by markdc »

[quote=tvining]Markdc: does that volume work out for you? Do you know (approximately) what your capture volume area is? The rule of thumb is officially that you get half the volume of your setup, but I did read somewhere on this forum where somebody said they had a 15x15 area that gave them about a 10 ft capture volume, so maybe it depends on the camera setup(?)

Thanks--Tim [/quote]

It's about 7'x6' (didn't measure it though).

-Mark