Arena MoCap for Second Life

flo

Arena MoCap for Second Life

Post by flo »

Hi,
Has anybody ever used an "Arena bvh file" to upload it as an animation to Second Life?
Second Life needs another internal format of the bvh file. I already tried a tool named bvhacker to convert it, but I didn't get the desired results. I also tried to write a small program to convert it myself, but it seems to me that I don't know enough about bvh and what Second Life expects.
So, if anybody has experience how to get Arena captures to work with SL, I would be glad to hear from you.
Flo
markdc

Re: Arena MoCap for Second Life

Post by markdc »

Do you have a sample bvh file that works with SL?
HatHead

Post by HatHead »

Hello, firstly didn't know that the same company makes TrackIR, which I have used in the past and is very cool.

I am exactly in flo's position. I tried to load the tennis player demo bvh file from the OpiTrack website into Second Life as a test however the animation is 1.3 seconds too long (30 second limit in Second Life).

Tennis BVH:
http://media.naturalpoint.com/video/opt ... s25FPS.bvh

First I tried to load it into a SL (Second Life) bvh tool, Qavimator (free - http://www.qavimator.org/), but the program crashes when loading the tennis bvh file, making me think that there is a difference in the file layout/skeleton.

I can open up the tennis in bvhacker (also free - http://davedub.co.uk/downloads/) and the skeleton is indeed way out of alignment.

Here a zip file of all the SL default animations in bvh format.

http://static.secondlife.com/downloads/ ... _files.zip

I am going to examine the differences between the two source bvh files however I am at an intermediate level at best when it comes to this so any help at all would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for any help!
markdc

Post by markdc »

If you have motionbuilder you can transfer the animation from the arena skeleton to the SL skeleton. Other than that you can try to edit the hierarchy at the beginning of the arena file to match the SL hierarchy but the results might not be that great.
HatHead

Post by HatHead »

Awesome - thanks for the tips - much appreciated!
kaeli

Post by kaeli »

Hi, can you tell me how that is done--to transfer the Arena skeleton to the Second Life skeleton? We have been having a lot of trouble with transferring animations into Second Life. Thanks!
spencer

Post by spencer »

hi,

i agree to markdc.
a friend of mine who is pretty active in secondlife approached me for using my optitrack system for the creation of secondlife animations.

we did try a lot of tools and methods, but only succeded with motionbuilder
for transfering the arena motions to the example bvh skeletons from the secondlife.com website.

the results in the world of second life where pretty disapointing tho.
a lot of foot-sliding and somehow the hip (which is the root of the FK chain) seemed not to roll on the z axis right.

it seems that the major second life animation creators use either big vicon system, or suits like moven or animazoo.
CDMoran

Post by CDMoran »

I too am interested in using Arena for Second Life. I took the 25FPS tennis bvh and used bvhacker to crop it down removing a section at the beginning and shortening it to what SL wants, added the T frame to the file, saved and uploaded. It looked quite good when I was finished.

Was the 25 FPS file produced directly from Arena or did it have to go thru another program first?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Directly from Arena
rock soderstrom

Post by rock soderstrom »

Hi, any news on this topic? I am searching for a production pipeline from Arena to Second Life/ Open Sim.

I have tried nearly everything (not motion builder) but still no success.

Is there a way to do it in 3ds max?

Best regards

rock